Recommended amount of protein for chow pup ? :-)

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lolas_Mammy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Recommended amount of protein for chow pup ? :-)

Post by Lolas_Mammy »

Hi everyone :-) Myself and my partner recently got our first chow puppy! We called her Lola, She's around 15 weeks old now and we feed her 4 cups of Burns chicken and rice mini bites for puppies and it contains 21% protein. Im wondering is that enough as some people on here were saying chows need a low amount of protein?. Lola seems to always be hungry and shes not that big for her age i dont think..so im not sure does she need more protein in her diet!. Ive been giving her scrambled egg the last few days mixed in with one of her meals just to bring up her protein a bit! Is that ok to do or would she fine without? And also, how much protein would be recommended for adult chows? Would just like to know for future reference! :-)
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Recommended amount of protein for chow pup ? :-)

Post by Rio »

Hi there, Burns is good for puppies and dogs and cats for that matter! I use Burns for Rio and he loves it, the protein I found was mid-range, some puppy foods have ridiculous protein levels in them.
You say you are feeding four cups per day, that seems like an awful lot, Rio has 370gms per day which is about 2 cups and he also has a cup of cooked rice on an evening.

You could try switching to the canine extra or high energy version of Burns, I had to switch Rio at around 4 months as he seemed constantly hungry. He is due to switch to the adult version soon, as Burns adult can be fed from around 7 months.
Don't forget to switch over a period of about 10-14 days though, eventhough it is the same brand it will still cause tummy upsets if you switch too fast.

Welcome to the forum,look forward to seeing photos of your baby.
Lolas_Mammy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lolas_Mammy »

Hi again :-) i also found alot of puppy foods have a high percentage of protein thats why i figured burns would be a good alternative :-) We feed Lola 400gms every day, 100gms per meal so we mustn't be underfeeding as i thought, which is good!. You say your feeding Rio 370gms which is roughly the same amount. I think that i might actually switch to one of the foods you recommended just so she isnt still hungry after meals. She tends to get aggressive to the other dogs when she finishes her meals and isnt full up enough!. She seems to getting better though as we correct her when she does it. Anyway,which one would you say is best for chow puppies? The canine extra or high energy? Thanks for the help! Ill be uploading pics soon :-) Your rio is gorgeous looking, love his coat!
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

I had him on the canine extra for about a month and it didn't seem to help much, so I would say the High energy Lamb. You didn't say how much Lola weighs, Rio has just under the maximum for his weight, he is currently 25kgs and is about to turn 7 months. Have you tried feeding her seperately? She maybe thinks she is the alpha in the dog pack. Thankyou for the comments about Rio's coat, he is midway through getting rid of puppy fur, I give him salmon oil in his rice, he actually gets more excited about his rice than he does about his food.
Lolas_Mammy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lolas_Mammy »

Lola weighs 8kg at the moment and she is 15weeks old, i will have to see if the local pet shop stock high energy lamb hopefully they will have it! And about feeding her separately from my other 2 dogs, i dont think its neccessary to do that yet because she is still so small i think with consistant correction on her behaviour at meal times she might stop being food aggressive. And if she is still food aggressive when she matures then i will feed her separately id say!
I think that would be a good idea? :) And youre welcome, it definetely shows in rio's coat that his diet is pretty good! Hopefully my chowling will have as shiny a coat when she starts getting her adult coat!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

i've posted a couple times on different posts regarding our approach to eliminating food aggressiveness. it sounds really simple, but it is effective. Rory never gets his full meal from the onset. He gets about 3/4 and then we pick up his bowl and put the rest in. Food aggressiveness comes out of the protective nature and pecking order within the pack. By doing this Rory knows that picking up his bowl is never a negative thing. We dont have other pets at home, but Rory is on an AKC campaign, and he does kennel with about 17 other dogs at any given time. They schedule feedings, but have never had an issue with him.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

If you struggle to find the food locally Burns have a delivery service. Suprisingly though I have found that Zooplus and Amazon are cheaper. Zooplus have offers on food quite a lot and you can find all kinds of good offers on dog products too. Hope that the correction on the food front works out for you, if not Rory's dad can give you loads of tips to work through it. (as you can see by the post above) I have not come across food aggressiveness as Rio is our only dog (our cats are usually sleeping when he is fed) I can put my hands in Rio's food and remove his dish whenever I want, he sits beside me in the kitchen when I put his food out,I add salmon oil to all his meals and mix with my fingers so he sees me handling his food. (my hands are washed before I do this!!!)
Anyway, good luck and hope you can find the food you want, you will probably be able to reduce the amounts too when you switch.