Rice /Grains

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Rice /Grains

Post by Hugo »

Hi
Just curious some people feed rice to their chows and others say grains aren't good for chows. Isn't rice a grain?
I feed Canidae and TOTW grain free formulas, but occasionally we have left over rice and I'm too scared to give it to Hugo because I have read on here about Chows and grains. Others seem to do fine with rice?
Suggestions, comments.
Thanks
Michelle
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Rice /Grains

Post by Rio »

Rice is classed as a grain but it is not the type that has gluten in it, I have fed Rio rice in some form or another since we got him. The rice as part of a hollistic diet forms the starch portion, I do not feed corn (in all its guises) or wheat.
Try a small amount then see how Hugo goes over 24 hours. I give Rio an afternoon snack of boiled rice and salmon oil, he loves it.
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beckysmyth92 »

I feed my girl Dakota cooked white rice every day as part of her meals along with frozen blueberries, cottage cheese, fish or boiled eggs. I find she doesn't bloat as rice is easily digested, and her stools are firm! I think you should try her with rice, but when serving insure the rice is cooked, and not sitting at room temperature for more than 60minutes as bacteria can form so its important for leftovers to be refrigerated and eaten within 24 hours

good luck!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

beckysmyth92 wrote:But when serving insure the rice is cooked, and not sitting at room temperature for more than 60minutes as bacteria can form so its important for leftovers to be refrigerated and eaten within 24 hours

good luck!
Hmmm... I think this one is over careful. Rice is a staple in my country and we have hot weather (33 to 35 degrees celsius) but our cooked rice can sit around for 24 hours unrefrigerated without going stale. Bacteria makes the rice stale or rotten. If you live in a temperate region with room temp going below 25 degrees celsius, your cooked rice will last 6hours longer.
What should be done with cooked rice to prolong its shelf life is not to dunk in it used spoon. Keep rice clean and dont put back in the rice cooker a portion of rice that's half eaten from someone's plate. If one must put back a portion of the rice, make sure it is clean and no fingers touched it.

Rice is said to be hypoallergenic - as to why I dont know -. Yes I also find the argument that grains are bad for the dogs quite over blown. Perhaps the absence of gluten, is it?

So in short, you can feed dogs cooked rice. You'll know you under cooked your rice if when you bite into it , there's still raw grain inside it and hard on the bite.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I have no proof or evidence, but I imagine Chows were fed rice in the past; they're from China, after all.

When I cook for Dim Sum, I sometimes give him brown rice along with chicken or beef.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

PCC wrote:I have no proof or evidence, but I imagine Chows were fed rice in the past; they're from China, after all.

When I cook for Dim Sum, I sometimes give him brown rice along with chicken or beef.

I do the same thing I mix brown rice / chicken or salmon / some dry kibble.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Rice /Grains

Post by Pinoy51 »

since Simba get meat/bone mixture (which our supermarket calls "saw dust") plus cooked rice. He is in perfect condition. Skin, Stool and
Best regards
Pinoy51
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Rice /Grains

Post by Pinoy51 »

overall appearance are very good. No more medication needed :D
Best regards
Pinoy51
aiza
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aiza »

Pinoy51 wrote:since Simba get meat/bone mixture (which our supermarket calls "saw dust") plus cooked rice. He is in perfect condition. Skin, Stool and
Hi Pinoy51, I'm also from PH. Where do you get the "saw dust"? I tried asking some supermarkets nearby but they don't know what saw dust is.

Thanks.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

I'm getting it from Puregold Molito, Alabang. These are the leftovers from cutting meats.
In the meantime I have substituted "sawdust" with Pedigree "5meats" canned food mixed with Holistic kibbles.
Simba loves variety, every two to three weeks he likes to see different food in his bowl :D
Good I have Nala who loves all food as long as it comes in big portions. She made him less picky.
Best regards
Pinoy51