whats the best food for my pup?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

whats the best food for my pup?

Post by beckysmyth92 »

Hello!

I have been doing a lot of research on what diet is best for chow chows, but I've read so many different things I wanted to hear some opinions of chow owners.. I have a 17 week old female pup! She's currently eating dry puppy dog food that the breeders gave me when I got her.. but I want her to eat the best possible diet to try and keep her as healthy as possible!

During research I have seen that these dogs shouldn't be given much protein in their diet, and more carbohydrates! I read a diet that says I should feed my chow chow Rice, carrots, celery, frozen blueberries,eggs, Pro Plan dry dog food mixed with water, and the occasional fish!

Is it best to feed my chow chow just dry dog food, or to include rice, veg and fish? Also what would the best dry dog kibble be?

I appreciate all replies & thank you for taking your time to read :D
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: whats the best food for my pup?

Post by Rio »

There are so many differing opinions on diet (not just on this forum, in general) that it all comes down to preference and what works for your individual Chow. Have a look around the internet at the vast range of foods, check the ingredients and if you feel they are good and in proportion, try them. A lot of dog owners are now feeding raw diets,(cat owners too actually) again this is preference and the animals ability to tolerate this type of diet.
The only advise I can give is to maybe not to go with the foods that are advertised on tv, I have found that they can be (my opinion) overpriced and not that good, have a look at the hollistic varieties of dry food.
My boys diet is mainly dry, with the addition of half a cup of cooked white rice and we also use chicken breast for training. I have just started adding salmon oil to his dry food too.
Good Luck.
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beckysmyth92 »

thank you very much for your response! I have added some white rice into my girls food today and she loved it! I agree with your opinion on commercial foods, i have found so many bad reports on them it has put me off feeding any kibble and sticking mainly to a raw diet, however I want to make sure Im giving my pup the best food I possibly can! I have read so many good reviews on salmon oil, Im going to purchase some on my next shop and try her with that!

Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Rio loves the salmon oil, I add it to his kibble or rice. Rio actually gets more excited over his afternoon rice than he does his food, he races me from the kitchen to his pen!!!!
Make sure to fully research raw diets and to try to ensure the foods given are human grade. I am sure you have already researched until you are sick of reading, a lot of people like them but a lot of people don't.
I am on the fence about it to be honest, as I would always be worried about vitamin and mineral intake.
But I took forever to pick the right dry kibble so I am probably just as bad LOL.
Best of Luck.