Water query

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Water query

Post by Rio »

Do any of you leave water down 24/7? I had read it is good to let dogs stomach acid rebuild (for want of a better word) The problem I am having is this, Rio is coming up for 6 months and I am not sure whether to start leaving his water down overnight. Reason being, he wakes quite early and it isn't to go to the bathroom (though he will squeeze one out) it is usually that he wants a drink.
I do not know if his bladder is mature enough yet to have access to water constantly.
Could you all share thoughts and your methods please? =D=
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Water query

Post by Cocoa »

Cocoa's water dish is full all the time. If potty accidents aren't a problem leaving the water down shouldn't be a problem.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Thanks Cocoa. I think Rio may be old enough to leave water down.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

We have water bowls out everywhere, if for no other reason that to offer alternatives to the porcelain ones the animals seem find interesting. Everyone goes out at 8PM, and Bit gets an additional trip out just before bedtime. Of course, between 6 and 6:30 AM everyone get to go out again. Clean fresh water is probably the most important thing you can offer.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Fresh water out at all times. He knows when he needs it, and will adapt to the 'going out' schedule as long as you are consistent.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I provide accessible water for all of them 24/7.
Downside is , they pee a lot.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Of course there should always be access to water!!! Who told you otherwise? I want to kick them in the rear!

Doggies can't sweat, so doggies pant, and panting uses up a lot of water. Doggies do know wayyy better when they need a drink than their humans do!