Whats for breakfast?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Whats for breakfast?

Post by Rio »

I have a question, Rio has just recently started turning his nose up at his breakfast, we split his food into 3 throughout the day, but breakfast he says no to.
I have seen around the internet all manner of different foods fed on a morning, from Weetabix to Cottage Cheese!
Do any of you feed a lighter breakfast, if so, what do you give your babies?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Whats for breakfast?

Post by Rory's Dad »

I am guilty of the cottage cheese breakfast...Rory really looks forward to it, and the dairy is good for his coat.

The only downside is when we fail to shop properly and he gets that big disappointed look.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Whats for breakfast?

Post by Cam Atis »

If Rio doesn't want to eat breakfast, either you leave the food on the bowl until brunch time comes along or withdraw it so that he won't get used to the smell and lose appetite altogether. Well I think and do know if they get hungry they'll eat whatever there is available for them. I prefer leaving the food so in case the hunger pang strikes, there's kibble available pronto! :D
So you got two choices for him. Leave the breakfast served for lunch or take it away when he turns his nose up. Serve it during lunch. It wouldn't affect him much if he does it for a few days.

The thing, I noticed, there are times they do get choosy. As long as Rio is healthy, nose wet, eyes are clear and he is very alert and playful, no need to worry. Give him a dose of daily vitamins (even for humans if you can't get your hands on a doggy vitamin asap.) 5mL is okay. So you can have some peace of mind that he is getting nutrients.

In the case they would not eat sometimes for a whole day. They eat small amounts and you are puzzled why they didn't eat the last meal... The times are during heat (if female), or in your case, he senses or sniffed a female who is on heat so he's always on edge. That's a lot worse for intact males. This is true for neutered ones also as the hormonal shifts doesn't change. I remember someone responded to me that her or his chow is already spayed so in effect saying such cause for not eating is not valid, well, now I say it doesn't matter at all. The cycle is still ongoing. hormones are never affected in neutering.