Need help on feeding my Chow Chow!

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

queeniethequeen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need help on feeding my Chow Chow!

Post by queeniethequeen »

Hello friends! I need your advice on feeding my baby. Ever since I got my Nadine (her name), i have difficulty feeding her. I tried so many things in the past - fed her with dry puppy food, mixed her food with milk powder, fed her with puppy food and milk - but nothing seems to work. Her previous owner taught me how to feed her and according to him, she's been eating a lot when she was still with his family. I honestly don't now what happened to her and simply thought that she is adjusting. I got her last February and since I am having problem feeding her, i tried giving rice and viand instead. To my surprise, it worked! I fed her with rice and viand and she rarely eats dog food. The problem was, my aunt told me that she can get diseases because human food is not for her and she might lack nutrients which can be found in dog foods. I tried to feed her again with dog food ONLY but it seems like she really doesn't like it. Any advice on how I can feed her well? I am worried that she might get malnourished if she won't eat since I stopped giving her rice and viand so that she'll eat her own food. The brand we used before was Beefpro and I thought that maybe she is bored with beef so I bought her Happy Life Adult Lamb flavor. I live in the Philippines. Could you suggest some more dog food brands that I can try and maybe that most chow chow likes? Thank you! I would appreciate all your suggestions.:)

- Queenie
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Need help on feeding my Chow Chow!

Post by Ylaartim »

We used to feed Apollo Beefpro, but I was told it was of low quality so I switched to Hollistic. I noticed Apollo liked it better. :)

I learned that we should not solely depend on dog food and we should also feed them with veggies.

Apollo's breeder suggested that we feed him rice with ground beef, mashed potatoes, or carrots. Season it with salt and sugar. :) saute it with butter and dont put vetsin!

Cam Atis also told me that dogs like the soup of sinigang and adobong sitaw :)

Try feeding Nadine that during lunch and or try mixing it with her dog food. :)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

queeniethequeen wrote:The problem was, my aunt told me that she can get diseases because human food is not for her and she might lack nutrients which can be found in dog foods.
Not true. Wht your aunt is saying is not true.
If you really want to feed some dogfood, try mixing the Royal Canin brand to rice and viand. You won'T find a Royal Canin for Chowchow. But Shih Tzu is okay or Golden Retriever. It is just a marketing ploy.
Anyway, refusing to eat dogfood is my basic fear you know, coz what you are offering your dog is the best tasting food there is so feeding dog food will be hard to impose on your pooch again.
I do wean them off from our "human" food by mixing dry food to the rice and viand little by little as sometimes, the smell of dogfood is enough to make them lose their appetit and they wont touch it anymore. So giving my dogs human food is kind of special treatment like when they just gave birth to a litter and they need to stock up on weight and nutriets a bit. I add malunggay so the puppies will have a lot of milk coming from their mum. Or when they are sick or has fever.
yatta5000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yatta5000 »

I feed my chow orijen for large breed puppies (its a dry food) and he likes it. I also feed him pedigree puppy chow which he loves. but later i"ll which to raw meats and veggies