Suggestion of food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

SleepyFilipy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Suggestion of food

Post by SleepyFilipy »

So Molly didn't like the dry food the breeder recomended (Purina), she wouldn't touch the stuff, and so the next day I bought Pedigree Pal puppy line for her, and she loves it, thankfully, and is carefull to chew. However, after doing a bit of reading here at the forum, it seems that the pedigree brand is never mentioned, and since just about everyone here has more experience with Chows than me, it got me wondering if there's anything wrong with that brand...

I called my parents and asked them what we fed Cindy, and they said it was Eukanuba, but the problem is that while in Portugal (my country) it's an easy brand to find, here in Brazil it's very rare, from what I could gather it's only sold in one state, and until I can find a shop that provides online purchase and shipping, I want Molly to have the best option available to her.

So what's the word on Pedigree Pal? Trash or Treasure? :P

Thanks,
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Suggestion of food

Post by Cam Atis »

Pedigree: Fair.
Eukanuba: Fair
Purina: nearly Trash
As long as your dog wants it there's no problem.Purina is not good. That one is nearly trash as it is yellowish in color because it has a lot of corn that it is fit for chicken and rooster feed. Our rooster fighters here in the Phils. uses that one. Purina. The proper term for rooster fighting is "censored" with this site. so you wont be able to see the rooster's synonym.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Hi sleepy, have you tried going to Eukanuba's website? They may be able to point you in the right direction, or if you find another brand you are interested in just email the manufacturer, sometimes they are quite helpful.
Dogs survived many a happy year before everyone got paranoia about what is and isn't in food, I drove myself nuts trying to decide for Rio, but 20 years ago he would have probably just had Pedigree or a Purina product.
Hope you can find the food you would like to use, Good Luck in your search.
ms.yssah
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ms.yssah »

hello! i just wanna ask if the royal canin adult medium maxi 25 is good for chow chow? or is it possible to have allergies??????
tnx!
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

I think that would depend on whether your Chow is intolerant of any of the ingredients, allergies and food intolerances can present in many different ways, I would suggest buying a small bag of any food when you switch to and introduce it gradually over 2 weeks. The bacteria in a dogs stomach gets a chance to work on the new food and alleviates upset tummies from a drastic change.
The reason I said small bag is simply because there is no point buying a huge 15kg sack of the food if it turns out your dog can't tolerate or doesn't like it.
Hope that helps a little ms.yssah.