What to feed my 3 month old chowling?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

What to feed my 3 month old chowling?

Post by Ylaartim »

Hi everyone.

I've read in some posts that other chow owners are feeding their chows not only dog food but also veggies, chicken, etc.

I want Apollo to be as healthy as possible. And I don't want to just rely only on the dog food 'cause I think it can't alone provide Apollo the nutrients he needs.

I'm scared on experimenting on what to feed him. He might develop allergies, he might have diarrhea, or whatever superficial things I'm being paranoid at. For me, there must be no room for mistakes since it is his health we're talking about.

I feed him 3x a day with puppy dog food (beef pro is the brand name), it was suggested by his breeder. I give him vitamins and calcium supplement as prescribed by his vet.

Do you guys have any recipes for your chow's food? Or any suggestions? Any would be a big help. :)

Thanks in advance! xx
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: What to feed my 3 month old chowling?

Post by Blackbear »

A high quality dry food when they are at puppy stage and then you have decide between raw diet or continue with the dry food diet. The puppy stage is when they are growing the fastest and it is important that they recieve correct dietry needs and a high quality dry food will do this. Be careful about experimenting too much. Changing diet often is not good for them and can make them fussy eaters.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Hmmmm, we feed Rio a dry complete food and also a wet complete food (mixed in three-quarters dry a quarter wet) He also has inbetween his lunch and dinner about 40 grams of tuna in sunflower oil, for no other reason than he likes it. We were told that a good quality food (wet or dry) should not need supplements unless there is a medical reason for it.
We have Rio on a large breed version of food as it ensures he doesnt grow too fast, but still gets all the correct nutrients required for large breed puppies.
Just a note that the wet food we use is produced by the same company who make the dry and has exactly the same ingredients in it.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Oh Beef Pro is a low quality dog food just like Purina or Pet One. Got way too much corn. Better use Holistic Recipe, or Eukanuba which is around 100 pesos per kilo. Hill's science diet and Royal Canin are high end which is 400 pesos per kilo

Just give Apollo a daily dose of multivitamins.

I noticed the darker the color of the kibble, the lower the grains content. Corn tends to give the dogfood some hint of yellow. The darker (dark brown) the more animal by products are in. Which includes bones , meat , animal hide etc. Which I prefer. Read the label. Try 24-28% protein range. High quality food also smell nicer than low quality.

Not all we read is applicable to our own. See there are chows on this website allergic to almost everything - even corn.

Cassie is not allergic to corn.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Recipe? Our very own adobong sitao with minced meat served with rice works everytime to all my dogs who lost appetite. Dont use Ajinomoto vetsin for this one though! Sabaw ng sinigang if pork is also good! Dont worry to much as chows are an asian breed so their ancestors are used to eating veggies like what we are eating. Dont give apollo sea produce.
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Cam Atis wrote:Recipe? Our very own adobong sitao with minced meat served with rice works everytime to all my dogs who lost appetite. Dont use Ajinomoto vetsin for this one though! Sabaw ng sinigang if pork is also good! Dont worry to much as chows are an asian breed so their ancestors are used to eating veggies like what we are eating. Dont give apollo sea produce.
How much do you serve Cassie abodong sitaw and sinigang? What do you do? Every when do you feed her that? Haha. I'm quite shocked that Chows can eat rice, etc. Haha! I thought if they were fed such, maglalagas sila. :(

How about making a veggie puree and serve it with rice? Parang isasabaw yun sa rice?
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Cam Atis wrote:Oh Beef Pro is a low quality dog food just like Purina or Pet One. Got way too much corn. Better use Holistic Recipe, or Eukanuba which is around 100 pesos per kilo. Hill's science diet and Royal Canin are high end which is 400 pesos per kilo

Just give Apollo a daily dose of multivitamins.

I noticed the darker the color of the kibble, the lower the grains content. Corn tends to give the dogfood some hint of yellow. The darker (dark brown) the more animal by products are in. Which includes bones , meat , animal hide etc. Which I prefer. Read the label. Try 24-28% protein range. High quality food also smell nicer than low quality.

Not all we read is applicable to our own. See there are chows on this website allergic to almost everything - even corn.

Cassie is not allergic to corn.
He's on LC-Vit and a calcium supplement as pescribed by the vet :)

We'll slowly switch to Holistic or Eukanuba since I was informed that changing dog food quickly might affect the appetite of the dog.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

The recipes above both have onion in them, do you omit them when making this for your dog?
yatta5000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yatta5000 »

Hello Ylaartim, I'm really new to the Chow world, but the breeder feed my chow 3 times a day. canned food in the morning and evenings and dry food about midday. The dry food was Purina One for large breeds and the canned food was Pedigree (both for puppies of course). Recently since having him home i have started switching over his dry from to Orijen. Its a bit pricey but that comes with the territory of providing for a life, anyhow he's about 50/50 now, next week hopefully (roughly) 70/30. I dont mind the canned food but after his full transition to Orijen I will began the raw food diet.

My goal is to free feed the Orijen and raw feed in the mornings and evenings. I've heard that free feeding leads to overweight dog but I visited a Kennel where there was roughly 25 pure free fed Chows and none were overweight. So since I've seen the Chows myself and witnessed it I choose to free feed.

I will attach a youtube url link of Dr. Karen Baker. She talks about things to feed your dogs and cats and things you shouldnt feed them. She have a few videos on feeding so give them a lookover if you wish. She also have a book that is on the table in some of her videos where she goes into detail and recipes for raw food for your pup. I've read it and i believe its worth it to you and you pup to keep him wealthy. It a choice so I want try to convince you of anything (raw vs. dry...et cetera) but whatever you decide on foods for your pup, the best of luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTWHxvjI ... e=g-user-u
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Ylaartim wrote:I'm quite shocked that Chows can eat rice
Originating in China, I'm certain Chows ate a lot of rice in the past.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

You can give Apollo rice as much as 1.5cups. I haven't tried veggie puree like you said isasabaw (pouring over to rice)
Rio wrote:The recipes above both have onion in them, do you omit them when making this for your dog?
Only the Sinigang has onion. Adobo absolutely no onion traditionally or else it will become Bistek. Onion does not hurt we dont omit the use of it. It's the synthetic artificial flavoring I omit as dogs can have a thing with them.
PCC wrote:
Originating in China, I'm certain Chows ate a lot of rice in the past.
You are so right!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Ylaartim, pls pardon my using ( .. ) in which I put the english translation, I know you are well versed but we must be mindful of our friends overseas who dont understand our vernacular. :-)

You may feed once a day for a start.
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

@Yatta thank you so much! :) will surely watch the video :)

@Cam my apologies! I will keep that in mind :)

The breeder suggested that I fry ground beef or chicken breast with butter. And when the meat is already tender add carrots or mashed potatoes or squash to it. Let it cool then keep refrigerated. Re-heat only the amount you're about to serve. :) and ofcourse it comes with rice.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Oh ok Cam,I was under the impression that onions were toxic for dogs, I guess I am mistaken.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Rio wrote:Oh ok Cam,I was under the impression that onions were toxic for dogs, I guess I am mistaken.
As far as I know, it is, but only in large amounts. Garlic is the same. Some people actually recommend giving small amounts of garlic because it purportedly has some health benefits.