Milk..

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chris

Milk..

Post by chris »

Hey guys, just a quick question...

When I eat my breakfast, (cerial) I let steel have the last bite and lick up the milk (1 %). He likes it. Do you think its ok to give a dog milk like that? I know your not supposed to give cats milk (believe it or not..gives um worms or something.. ) but dogs are not cats. Whats your take on it?
TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXSusiQ »

actually asked this question of our vet yesterday since Cabo won't stay out of Jack's milk. He comes out all innocent with a milk mustache.

He said that skim and 2% really don't have that much milk in them so a little bit is ok but that dogs are lactose intolerant so you could end up with am upset tummy.
Mommy to Cabo
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

As long as it agrees with him it's fine. Willow is a dairy queen, she loves milk, cheese, yogurt.

I noticed the 2% human milk after getting it so often was causing a little bit of soft poop. So, I looked around and I've been giving her CatSip, yup that's the name. It's in a juice box type box and it's 1%, with the enzymes so they can break it down and taurine. It's gonna be in the cat isle but right on the back it reads "great for dogs too". I pour a little each day and she loves it and it's healthy for her.

WE LIKE STEEL'S HAT!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel always have a drop of milk after their dinner - they love it and it does not upset their tummies.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

OJ will get the end of the cerial sometimes. He is also crazy for ice cream! We had an ice cream man that used to come by and OJ and Nala would run to the house and pound on the door and run back to the fence and bark at the ice cream man! We used to buy them small vanilla cups. It was like watching two little kids loose their minds! I'm glad there isn't an ice cream man here!

Good thing the other 4 never found out about an ice cream man! LOL!

Zim loves milk! He was about 3 years old when Nala died and he would check her everyday for milk! We never let him know it comes in bottles! LOL!
chris

Post by chris »

so.. it sounds like its fine. :-) As long as its not in excess. good.. cuz he likes it..

cheese... r u kidding me...? Steel lives in the land of cheese.. how could you NOT love cheese and live here eh?

yep.. yougart too.. and I found that out on accident.. LOL.. he pulled the cup out of the garbage and devoured what he could...
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I sometimes freeze vanilla yogurt in ice cube trays for Willow. That way she thinks it's ice cream but it's a little better for her. After they freeze I take the cubes out and put in a bag or container in the freezer and I give one cube a day.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't purposely give Pekoe milk but she does drink it when she finds a class or bowl laying around, I have been giving her plain yogurt a few times a week she loves it. Anyone give their Chows any of the flavored yogurt? I think Chows just naturally like dairy products like cats.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

That's right about Wisconsin. My bro in law comes from Milwalkee originally. Football season, everyone runs around with plastic cheese wedges on for hats! A dog would need to love cheese to hang there!

I have always given cheese and milk products to my cats and dogs. I think the secret is to start early, and only in moderation.
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

can u imagine if they made those cheese hats for dogs? The Packer fans wud b all over that. My husband is a cheese fan; so I know exactly what u r talking about. I use cheese to hide meds in; my kids luv it. Sometimes when all 3 r outside & I can't get their attention to come in becausr they are playing & ignoring me (chows ignore someone...never) all I have to do is say :cheese & they stop dead in their tracks & come running in. I did find a product called pill pockets to put meds in... they work great too.
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xueshuxin »

Hey it's said milk can't be digested well, especially for puppies.

But I blieve if your boy shows nothing unusual it shld be ok.

Another very important reminder: don't spoil your boy with all your meals, once he's used to your food he won't eat well his... A bad lesson just learnt from Songsong my chow :cry:
chris

Post by chris »

I bet they do make Cheese Head Hats for dogs.. LOL, I will check it out.. :roll:

BTW, N O T packer fans here.. We are STEELER fans... wooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo...
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

If they don't make these cheese hats for dogs, you could be onto something. Especially in Brett Farve land.
Of course, Steel would have to be the one to model it.
Congrats on the job. Hope things are going well.

I got Irish a Notre Dame (college) football jersey for my husband when the season starts. He looks so cute.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You mean there are other teams besides the Raiders? Thats ok everytime I go to Harrah's sports betting I have to wisper the Raiders and lower my head in shame, the guy that takes the bets always yells to everyone, Hey this guy is betting on the Raiders and everyone laughs at me. One good thing about the Raiders my football season is over in about 4 weeks.
chris

Post by chris »

Ahhh.. :-) Take a seat next to my Father in law... Biggest Raiders fan I ever met.. :lol:
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

Jeff, I bet my team should be a "Ground Hog Day" movie. It's the same thing every year with the Dolphins.
The day after my husband & I got married he said ok, so now you will dump your teams & support mine... I told him I could never wear a cheese head & 2 I think I'm 1 of the few Fin fans still around. At least my college team is decent:Miami Hurricanes.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

About 3 Christmases ago my wife was going to buy me an autographed helmet I didn't really want one but she thought it was a great idea so I told her anyone from the Raiders is fine but if she couldn't get that get me the OJ autographed I saw at the sports store( Good for a conversation piece) Somehow I wound up with a Game worn autographed Dan Moreno Helmet,sweat and all, She thought it was cute because of the dolphin, Its a great dust collector.
dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Milk

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

I have always been told dogs cant digest cows milk. However I was a bit naughty and used this to my advantage 2 years ago. It was time before Max and we just had Holly and Fliss (again before she lost her tail -meeOOOWW!!). Anyway when we moved in Holly was soooo upset with us because we wouldnt let her in the garden (there was a skanky pond and everytime she went in - it was head first and she would get stuck, so we barred her). Anyway Hollys trick?? She went on poop strike for nearly a week!!! couldnt believe it, she was so stubborn!! I knew she wanted the toilet, but she kept barking at the gate. Anyway my repsonse? A little evil I know, but knowing the effects of milk on her I gave her a glass of the stuff. Within 2 hours i had won the battle! She had no option - the milk was the boss now. Dont worry, the effects only lasted a day, we were due on holiday 2 days later so could nt risk her being ill whilst away. But she does love cheese - expecially blue stilton, which upsets me cos thats my fave!!!