Water

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Water

Post by Rio »

Hi everyone, yes I know this is probably a really dumb question, but here goes, we got our puppy a week ago from a registered breeder and they gave us a feeding guide, is it normal not to leave water out for a puppy chow, the breeder said not to give water an hour before food, excercise and not to give water and hour after these too. Most puppy guides say to have water available at all times and only to take up on an evening if access to outside is not available. I would really appreciate some help and advise from all you Chow owners as internet advise is not breed specific. Thanks for any help.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Water

Post by PCC »

I've never heard that about water and exercise, but some recommend not giving water before after dry food as a precaution against bloat. Some also recommend to hydrate dry kibble. I've never done either; I have water available to him always. I just watch him and make sure he isn't eating and drinking too fast.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Yes. It is to help prevent bloat. Chows are one of the breeds that are prone to bloat. Some chowlings gulp their kibble down extremely fast. The meal boosts up their energy level and then they may want to play or run around vigorously. That could lead into torsion if their belly also had water in them, weighing it down since they just ate kibble, which has completely expanded.

My Tiggy was a very fast eater. Since I feed dry kibble, I soaked his kibble an hour before meal time with half of a cup to a cup of water. With that, I had full control on the volume of water he was ingesting. I also had to teach him to eat slower. Because I had a chow who bloated twice, I do not allow/did not allow future chows in my household to play, run, do zoomies an hour before meal time and an hour after meal time. After the hour, I would have water available for him/them. In time, they learned to control the pace of their eatting on their own and I no longer have to soak their food. However, they are told to relax in their areas before and after a meal.

Canned food is mostly water. If you mix puppy kibble with a bit of canned, just lesson the water you make avaiable in thier water bowl.

Thanks for asking the question. It is not a dumb one. Trust me, you don't want to experience your chow going through bloat. Mine lived but many do not and it brings alot of heart ache and what if's. Also, many chow parents don't even know the breed is prone to the condition.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Thanks for your replies, really appreciate the advise, we do add water to his dry food and he also has a little puppy wet food and tuna in sunflower oil with his meals (not all together we alternate) we knew the breed was prone to bloating before we got our little boy, we were just so confused by all the different advise and didn't want to risk harming him. No doubt I will be asking more well duh! questions but I would rather ask than go in blindly.
PowPow Power
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PowPow Power »

Rio,
Thanks for asking the question as my breeder told me a similar thing but wasnt too sure.
Now i understand exactly why we put warm water, then drain the water with his dry food before we serve it.
Our beloved Chow, PowPow :D