Wanting whats best for my new Chow.

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

PowPow Power
Rank 0
Rank 0

Wanting whats best for my new Chow.

Post by PowPow Power »

Hi everyone,
My partner and I just recently purchased an 8 week old chow last week from a breeder. Since we got him we havent had any issues at all besides trying to toilet train him, which ofcourse will take some time as PowPow is still quiet young.
Now what to feed him has been our only concern as there are mixed opinions out there on the net, so I thought id best join a club and get some owners opinions on what they feed there Chow's.
For now what we do feed him is this;

Morning:
1 Cup of Holistic Recipe Puppy Lamb & Rice with half a cup of white rice.

Lunch:
1 Cup of Holistic

Dinner:
1 Cup of Holistic + either 1 raw egg or another half cup of white rice.
For dinner im not sure if i should add a raw egg to give him some protein or another half cup of rice as rice seems to be the general consenus on whats good for Chow's.

Another question has anyone ever heard of Holistic? Cause according to the breeder who uses Holistic and a few pet stores in the Philippines, Holistic is a good choice for feeding Chows. But just to be sure heres a cut and paste on what the dog food claims to be;

HOLISTIC RECIPE PUPPY LAMB MEAL & RICE FORMULA includes Green Tea, Lamb Meal and Brewers Rice; all high-quality ingredients that provide a healthy balanceddiet for puppies and an excellent diet for active adult, lactating and pregnant bitches. It is specially formulated to prevent allergic recation to food, help in the development of the digestive system, prevent formation of free radicals, improve the immune system, reduce fecal odor and improve skin and hair condition.

HOLISTIC RECIPE PUPPY LAMB MEAL & RICE is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO dog food nutrient profiles for all life stages.
Hypoallergenic Formula - ingredients typically found in other dog food such as beef, wheat, eggsetc. are common causes of skin problems. HOLISTIC RECIPE completely eliminated this problem by using lamb meal, brewers rice, and barely in their formula. This will also help improve skin coat and prevent hair loss.
Green Tea - green tea contains a substance called catechins. Catechin is suspected to prevent cancer. In addition to that, green tea is known to improove blood circulation and help fight against cell aging.

High Digestibility - using 3 different sources of carbohydrates can help reduce gastro-intestinal problems. In addition to this, HOLISTIC RECIPE combines different types of fibers and yeast that improves digestibility.

Flaxseed Meal - flaxseed provides the balanced level of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Having the correct level ratio of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids aids in improving the skin's condition. It also promotes shinier and healthier hair/coat.

Chelated Minerals - amino acid chelated minerals can improve absorption and stability by 40%. It also provides the essential minerals needed to prevent anemia, diarrhea and loss of appetite.

Yucca Extract - Yucca plant extract is added to minimize fecal odor and joint problems.

INGREDIENTS: Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Ground Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (a Source of Vitemin E) and Citric Acid), Beef Pulp, Natural Flavors, Brewers Yeast, Flax Seed, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Proteinated Mineral (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Protienate, Copper Protienate, Manganese Protienate), Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Pantonthenic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Biotin, Viamin B12 Supplement), DL Methionine, Lysine, Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Green Tea Extract, Tryptophan, Calcium lodate, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract.

Now im more interested in the ingredients and would really appreciate if someone could tell me if theres anything harmful in there for my chow.
If you've read all that thankyou and we'd really appreciate any info, thoughts & suggestions that could help us raise our chow in the right way.

Cheers,
Jayr
Our beloved Chow, PowPow :D
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Wanting whats best for my new Chow.

Post by PCC »

I know puppies need more food, but I think you might be overfeeding him.

The presence of ground corn and corn gluten meal in the Holistic kibble is not ideal. I view those ingredients as filler.
PowPow Power
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PowPow Power »

Thanks for the reply PCC. I'll try to look for something without any corn product. Could you reccomend on what I should feed him. Maybe less rice in the morning?
Thanks.
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

Try blue buffalo very good puppy food
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I do not know what is available in the Philippines, but here is a list of manufacturers recommended by the publication Whole Dog Journal:

ADDICTION
ANNAMAET
ARTEMIS
BACK TO BASICS
BENCH & FIELD
BLUE BUFFALO
BLUE SEAL BY NATURE
BREEDER'S CHOICE PINNACLE
BURNS PET HEALTH
CANIDAE
CANINE CAVIAR
CASTOR & POLLUX (Organix & Ultramix)
CHAMPION PET FOODS (Origen & Acana)
DELLA NATURA (Wenaewe)
DIAMOND (Taste of the Wild; Premium Edge; Chicken Soup)
NATURAL BALANCE
DOGSWELL (Happy Hips, Shape Up, Vitality)
DR. TIM'S PET FOOD
DRS. FOSTER & SMITH
EARTHBORN HOLISTIC
EVANGER'S
FIRSTMATE PET FOODS
FROMM FAMILY FOODS
HORIZON PET NUTRITION (Amicus, Complete, Legacy, Pulsar)
LAUGHING DOG
LINCOLN BIOTECH (Zinpro)
LOTUS NATURAL FOODS
MERRICK
MULLIGAN STEW
NATURA PET PRODUCTS (California Naturals,Evo, Healthwise, Innova, Karma)
NATURE'S VARIETY (Instinct, Prairie)
OMNIPRO PET FOODS
PERFECT HEALTH DIET PRODUCTS
PET CHEF EXPRESS
PETCUREAN (GO!, Now, Summit)
PET VALU (Performatrin Ultra)
PRECISE PET PRODUCTS (Precise Holistic Complete)
SMARTPAK CANINE (Livesmart, Wellness)
SOLID GOLD
TUFFY'S (Natural Planet Organics, Nutrisource; Purevita)
VERUS PET FOODS
WELLPET (Eagle Pack, Holistic Select, Old Mother Hubbard, Wellness,
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Hi there, your puppy is the same age as our little boy and we had the same problem with amounts of food to feed, we tried the reccommendation on the puppy food and it was wayyyyy too much for him, it upset his little tummy, its a minefield out there and every manufacturer wants you to feed more so you buy more. We went with half reccommended dry food and added his puppy formula wet food or tuna to that, his tummy has settled. Once he is older we are changing his dry food as I would prefer to feed hypoallergenic dry foods, we don't have as much variety as people in the U.S but have a good selection, I think its trial and error and maybe vet advise. Good Luck.
PowPow Power
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PowPow Power »

Thanks for the list PCC, ill do some digging around and ill see what i can find in the Philippines.
Rio, at first he was eating all that we gave him, two 1 cup sessions in the morning and evening and half a cup for lunch which was a total of 2.5 cups per day. Since then we've added a full extra cup cause he was finishing the food so quickly and looking for more but now however he isnt finishing all the food and is leaving half a handful left per sitting, sometimes even more.

Now im not too sure if this is cause 3.5 cups per day is either too much or his just simply getting sick of the same food were feeding him.
I asked the breeder whether or not we should have a selection of dog food for him but his response was that we should try to stick to one brand for now as its quiet easy to upset there stomach while there still young... All i know is its very confusing and id like to figure it out asap as id like to provide the best for my Chow.

Regards.
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hi
I'm no expert but I think I read somewhere that raw egg isn't good because of the risk of salmonella poisoning.
Enjoy your goegeous bundle.
x
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

I don't know if 'cup' sizes are the same around the world, but we use an american version that I used to use for baking, we currently give Rio 3 meals a day of half a cup of dry puppy food and add approximately 2 tablespoons of either wet puppy food or tuna in sunflower oil. He also has puppy milk twice a day in between meals. His tummy has now settled on this amount. I guess every dog is different just like humans, as I said Rio is our first Chow and I tend to err on the side of caution in general. I personally would prefer to slightly underfeed than overfeed and risk health problems. Your puppy is adorable. Good Luck.
PowPow Power
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PowPow Power »

Hugo, now im confused as others have been sayings its fine :S
Thanks Rio :) Pow is my first chow too so yeah i know how you feel. I think ill add some puppy milk into his diet as his still only 10 weeks old. How early can you start feeding chows meat like fish or chicken etc?
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I am also frm phils. My chow was fed Holistic by the breeder and I brought 3kg home, enough to acquaint her to her new puppy food.
As far as your feeding. I think you are over feeding. Dangers of overfeeding aside from obesity are kidney stones. Puppy food have 27% protein.
PowPow Power
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PowPow Power »

Wow glad to meet you :) So 1 cup per meal 3 times a day is over feeding?
Breakfast
1/2 cup holistic 1/2 cup rice
Lunch
1 cup holistic with raw egg
Dinner
1/2 cup holistic 1/2 cup rice ( we will soon change the rice to 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese.)
Thanks.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

...and bloating.
Yes you are over feeding her. You are giving a total of 4 cups a day (3c holistic 1cup rice)
Cup size for doggies is 200mL. Not the 250mL baking cup. You can buy measuring cups at SM pet stores. you better reduce her to 2.5cupa daily. Increasing every week by 1/4cup. Give her milk even 1cup. Dry food would expand upon ingestion.

It doesn't mean that as long as she finishes all meals given to her means you have to add more.
When your pup reaches 5-6 months then you can give 4 cups. Have you ever heard of dogs on diet?

Yes you can give her chicken meat. Or pork meat but just morsels at first. Like 100mL. Dont feed chicken bones if you are not keen to it. But I deliberately train my Cassie (and all prev dogs) to eat bones while still 10wks old (neck part first, later the leg bone - remove sharp parts) as vets would say chicken bones can splinter and cause intestinal bleeding, not to mention choking. But you know in our country, it is not normal for a dog who can't eat chicken bones with finesse. They are frowned at by other dogs. ;-)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Salmonella in raw egg comes from the egg shell. True esp on broken shells. But if you break it without touching the egg white and gulp it down immediately... I dont think you'll get sick. No need to give fresh egg. Give it cooked scrambled. Milk is still important part of the diet and u count it by the cup portion as well. Water intake is not measured of course.
You chowie might have difficulty walking if too fat. Might damage her paws and knee joints as well. Cassie has now mellowed from eating perhaps because she knew she has no competition. So se takes her time and eat when she wants. She eats 3-4 cups of dry. She'll be 5months come May05.
PowPow Power
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PowPow Power »

Hi,
Thanks for all that info. But i think you might of misread my post. We feed him 3 cups per day. A total of 2 cups of holistic and 1 cup of rice. As for the salmonella ill make sure to wash the egg shell first upon breaking just incase the inner touches the shell.
Ill be heading back to the Phils this weekend so ill be sure to head over to the local pet shop and get some good puppy milk.
By the way your puppy is adorable.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Thanks! Cassie is now 4.5 months and very lithe. She can now run and jump without tumbling over.

No I did not misread. I was referring to your first post. It totals 4cups. Then you post later in this thread a total of 3cups. Anyway, either of the two daily ration you detailed, it is still too much for a 9 wk old pup.

Just to give u an idea how much over it is, Cassie at 8 weeks old was fed 1/2c dry + 1/2c milk morning and afternoon by the breeder. Now what I did was feed her 1/4c 4x daily so as to spread out her feedings as fit to her age. That's a total of 1cup dry with 1cup milk. And she is a voracious eater and the breeder Cut down her portions.

Oh dont forget to wipe dry the egg if you intend to wash before cracking as it can be the Salmonella's vehicle to get into the fresh egg. Just curious. Why feed fresh egg and during dinner?
PowPow Power
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PowPow Power »

Your most welcome.
My partner just got back from the vet this afternoon for a routine checkup and for his 5 in 1 shot. There the vet had a look at his coat, skin and weighed him at 5.25 kgs. He said the dog is very healthy and that there was nothing to be worried about. He did offer another shot which was to be given once the dog has received all of its shots, apparently chow chow's have respiratory issues and that shot would help prevent this. Maybe its something worth considering...

As for the feeding routine the vet suggested spreading out the meals over 4 sittings insted of just 3. He too suggested cooking the egg as there are potential bacteria's with raw egg. I feed him raw egg as ive read in multiple articles including this site that raw egg is quiet benefical for dogs so yeah. But i think ill start cooking the egg just to be on the safe side.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Glad you are feeling better about the feeding, as for his weight that seems good if the vet has said he is healthy, I think the shot you are talking about may be the one we were offered at our vets (we are in the UK) the kennel cough vaccine but we were offered the nasal one. We don't intend putting him in kennels nor going to places where there are lots of dogs in confined areas, so we are a little unsure. Rio and your puppy I think are the same age (D.O.B. February 9th)
PowPow Power
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PowPow Power »

Powpow is only 5 days older (4/2/12) so very close indeed. If the puppy is given the shot does he have to stay over night or something or can you take him home straight away? I too am against having him locked up.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

The kennel cough vaccine (nasal version here) is just like the other shots and vaccines, we take him home same day. We are still undecided as there are pros and cons on all vaccines. Guess I will just bang head against wall several times and then decide :) Maybe post on forum and ask a few vets in your neighbourhood, most good vets will advise on health issues and not just see another paycheck when you talk to them. Good Luck.
PowPow Power
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PowPow Power »

Yeah, that's very true. Fortunately for us our vet is a relative :)
We're now noticing his teething stage as he loves chewing on everything. Even our feet so I'll have to teach him its not ok to bite people. I think a chew toy should do the trick.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Tell me about it!! No limb is safe at the moment, but Rio has taken a liking to gloves! We found the usual making a loud noise has no effect on him ( we just sound like one of his squeaky toys) if he gets a little bit too giddy and the teeth come out we usher him into the kitchen and close the door, he stays there for maybe a minute. So far he seems to get it, but I do have a habit of just telling him 'No' or a 'Hey' and kinda scowl does the trick too, we also try to give him something he can sink his teeth into. We also found at the petstore a teething treat that has clove oil in to sooth their mouths.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

The only thing your vet will advise you (unique to us pinoys) is not to bath your pup 3 days from administration of the vaccine. Not to travel your pup long distance (but it is doable with the convenience of an aircon ride)
PowPow Power
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PowPow Power »

Rio your right no limb is safe! I just got back from the Philippines and while I was there I got bitten by my Chow :(
I must of startled him while he was barking at the cat as I went to pick him up. I was even administered to the hospital as the puncture wounds were a little deep and for my anti rabies injection as a health precaution.
It's quiet a disappointing feeling getting bitten by your own dog but I suppose it's one of those things that go with owning a Chow.
That was 2 weeks ago and since then each time he goes to bite we yell at him & I think his getting the idea that it's wrong to bite. My partner just took him yesterday to get his anti rabies shot and all seems to be well for Powpow.
brothercomplete
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by brothercomplete »

Thanks for sharing information about dog's food.Really i like your post.

best dog food