Chew treats like raw-hide?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MartMan86
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chew treats like raw-hide?

Post by MartMan86 »

Hey gang. quick question for anyone....

I've been getting a lot of chew treats for Kage since he's 11 weeks and loves to chew. I've gotten him 1 rolled up raw-hide (until i heard they cause bloat, etc.) and one baked pig ear from the pet store. I've heard bad things about both, then again there's always something wrong with EVERYTHING for dogs it seems like. I was looking into and reading up on "Bully Sticks" until someone mentioned about bad animal parts possibly infected with crap, yadda yadda yadda. Kage has absolutely no interest in his chicken flavored Nylabone either.... he's hasn't even licked it.

What all do you give your Chows to chew on for teething and as a treat? I'm at a loss on what to give him...
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chew treats like raw-hide?

Post by TyChowgirl »

They do have edible Nylabones (If you get the soup bone size it's big enough to last a little puppy for a bit!) that comes in a few different flavors. Ty always liked the bacon. Also, they have these chews called Smart bones and so far Petsmart is the only place I've found them. They are compressed meat and veggie. I don't get them for Ty anymore because they don't come big enough for a full sized chow (IMO) but when he was a puppy, this worked well too! I don't know...I still gave him rawhide chewies my bad, but we've never had stomach issues with them. Oh, and there's also deer antlers they sell in pet stores...I've heard that they can cause an upset stomach though, so I'm not sure about that one. A big enough one for Ty now would cost like 30 bucks so I'm not going to venture down that lane lol.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chew treats like raw-hide?

Post by Ursa's daddy »

We have been using the cow hooves you can get at petsmart. They are hard enough that the dogs don't quickly chew them up, I have not seen them splinter or break, and my dogs have never has an issue with them. When they get small enough to be a swallowing hazard, we simply take them up and throw them away.