Raw hide?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Raw hide?

Post by trry »

Hello,
So I purchased a chew item for my chow since it was made for puppies and designed to clean teeth. So I found out it was raw hide since of the odor it produced. Do you feed your chow raw hide or stay away from it? If you don't what treats do you recommend?

Thanks!
Yoshirocks07
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Raw hide?

Post by Yoshirocks07 »

I definitely stay away from raw hide as it can cause a lot of digestive issues. I prefer to give my dog bull pizzle which kind of resembles a bone (found at most pet supply stores near the raw hides) and mostly Milo's Kitchen Treats, usually the chicken jerky.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Thank you. I will try some pizzle stick if I can find it. I will give you an update of how he is doing!.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Milo's chicken jerky? BE CAREFUL! http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... cords-show
My step mom bought these for Ty for xmas and because I had heard of this and didn't want to take any chances, she took it back. I don't trust it. The chicken is made in China and the beef (which is what she brought back) was made in the USA. That makes no sense. I give Ty rawhides and have since he was a pup. I try to supplement in things like smart bones, but they're not big enough and don't last long. He has had no real digestive issues and I watch him to make sure that if he's trying to swallow the last bit whole and its too big, I take it from him and cut it into smaller pieces.Depends on the dog I guess? but he loves a good rawhide.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

The problem with rawhide is that it is not digestible and if they eat too much it can cause bloat. My favorite chew for Cocoa is deer antlers, most of the local pet stores carry them. They are a little pricey but they are very hard and last a really long time and she loves them.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I do give my previous dogs raw hide because firstly, I didnt know any better. Plus the pet shop where I bought them is owned by a vet. Secondly, My dal loved it and provided hours of entertainment. I bought big ones for her little mouth as per suggestion of the vet. Then I discovered Nylabone. So I also bought a Nyla Bone chew bone.
Only later did I read when I bought a dog book that says Stay Away from Rawhides as it can cause bloating. But it did not cause any problems with my Dals.
And lately I gave one to Cassie. But not to Blue. Princess the Golden Lab i was shocked to discover that she almost finished the piece in less than 1 hour!!! I waited for her to get bloated but NONE. Nothing. She ate like before.
I dont give it to my previous toy breeds though. Perhaps it is only an issue if you give rawhide to a chihuahua and being small, they can get bloated fairly easy.
Well.... Trry have you tried an empty water bottle about 1 liter size? Remove the cap and its plastic ring as well as bottle label , and give it to your chow. Throw it once it is abused and punctured.
Cassie loved them and saves me money too.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Oh wait! Did I read you say "Feed"? No I dont feed my dog or pups rawhide. They are chew toy and if it has been very much abused, throw it and get fresh ones.
I did bought a cow shin from the local market, boiled it and TADAH!!!! Gave it as a gift to my teething Dal pup about 6 months old. Well, She cleaned her teeth all right but I noticed her gums are bleeding from the friction and I go get it from her, she growled at me for goodness sake! So I throw it away right away. THAT was the only toy she didnt want me to get from her.
Cassie is being good at raw hide. Would play with pieces that were flattened out. I think it is digestible to some extent. I havent seen any evidence from my dog's poop.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I don't suggest rawhides. They can cause blockages so I stay clear of them. I give my dogs beef knuckle bones and bully sticks to chew on (only supervised because if they're left with them, they start guarding them and get in fights; plus I don't want them to break of a piece and get it lodged in their throats) and they love them.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I give my guy raw meaty bones to clean his teeth, stimulate his mind, and give him a "workout."
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

From what I have read, rawhide is not a good chew. We give cow hooves as chews. The first day Ursa will gather them all up for herself. After she has tasted all of them, it is usually ok for the other dogs to have them.
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sara »

I realise this is an extremely old thread but I'll just add to this in case anyone is reading through the older threads as i am...
RAWHIDE IS ONE OF THE WORSE THINGS YOU CAN GIVE YOUR DOG
sorry for the caps, i wanted to draw attention to that statement.
It was bought to my attention thank fully when my dear boy was a puppy from a friend of mine who had St. Bernard's.
Depending on which country the rawhide is made in denotes just how bad it can get, some of the bad things have been mentioned here but did you know that
Salmonella bacteria is often present especially if the rawhide comes from outside the US. Another problem is arsenic used as a preservative. Yes, arsenic! Other dangerous additives can include antibiotics, (which can kill good bacteria in your dogs intestines) lead, and insecticides. Some countries like Thailand even include pieces of dog and cat skin in these rawhide treats. Health problems from rawhide chews can included sore throat, acute pancreatitis, choking, and intestinal blockage.

Have a Google and you will probably find more nasties which are in those little rawhide chews.
Do your dog a favour, if you have any throw them away!

Hope this is helpful to anyone browsing.