ChowChow like Royal Canin Yorkie 28. What to do?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Pawchop
Rank 0
Rank 0

ChowChow like Royal Canin Yorkie 28. What to do?

Post by Pawchop »

Hi everyone. I'm an owner of 3 month old Chowchow (Pawchop) and a 2 year old Yorkie (Barney),

Regarding the food of my chow, I'm trying to feed him Vitality Dog Food, but he never touches them. He's more inclined to eat the yorkies food. I feed my yorkie a Royal Canin that's specifically for adult yorkies. So for days, I've ended up feeding my chowchow the royal canin for Yorkies.

I'm worried that my chowchow isn't getting the nutrients he needs because for 1. he's already eating dog food for adults; and 2. it's for a specific type of breed; and 3. the food is for small dogs.

So, i'm really worried that he might not be getting enough nutrients because of this.

I tried gradually changing the food by adding 25% Vitality, but he always leaves it behind and only eats Royal Canin.

What can I do? I want to make sure he's getting the nutriends he needs. Is there a problem with feeding him Royal Canin for Yorkies? If so, what are these problems?

Thank you Chowchow.org.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: ChowChow like Royal Canin Yorkie 28. What to do?

Post by Sarahloo »

Have you tried feeding him RC medium? Maybe it tastes like the Yorkie food. Dogs mainly like RC because it's all nice and fatty! :D And that's true for all their products.
http://www.petco.com/product/13073/Roya ... -Food.aspx

BUT: I don't think the Yorkie food is going to do him any harm. There's nothing specifically "Yorkie" about it, it's just a selling scam! :)
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I agree with Sarahloo about the "yorkie" title, however, he's only 3 months, you need to have him on a puppy food to make sure he gets the right nutrients to grow which is different than what they put in adult food. Try some other brands of food. I know you may want him on Vitality, but if he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it and there's nothing you can do to change his mind. Try Taste of Wild if you can afford it or Nutro, or anything that ranks up with those other brands, but choose the puppy formula. Also, if the yorkie food is one flavored protein, try to match it in the puppy food so it's an easier transition. I don't feed Ty taste of wild, but any time we go to Two Paws Up in town (they have a food bowl out filled with TOW samples) he eats the whole bowl hungry or not. (TOW is a little out of my price range right now) If you can buy small bags to try different ones out to see what he likes then you can figure it out and then buy the bigger one eventually. And if you end up with some extra food, you could probably mix it in here and there till you get rid of it or donate it. Sometimes certain stores will let you take back the bag of food if it's barely touched especially if it's causing health issues.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I am not a fan of Royal Canin because it contains corn and wheat which can cause problems if your dog is at all sensitive. I did have Cocoa on it when I first got her because that was what she was already on. After some trial and error with different foods I found that Taste of The Wild Pacific Stream works well for us and it is grain free. Every dog is going to be different so you will have to find what works for you.
Pawchop
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pawchop »

Thanks for the replies everyone. :) I got him on RC Medium now and he loves it. :)

Saraloo- thanks for the info about RC Yorkie not having any "Yorkie" in it. :)