food question?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kaysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

food question?

Post by Kaysa »

Hello,

I was wondering, what is the best food for a chow chow, My Muñeco is 3 years old, and I've tried almost every brand of food and every time he gets tired of it.

I always give him the premium food of every brand, right now I'm giving him Canidae and he seems to like it, but I'm starting to see signs of boredom from him.

So far he didn't like Eukanuba, Star Pro, Science Diet, Pedigree...

From time to time I give him my mom's special chicken soup (with a lot of chicken), and he goes nuts about it, the only time he actually eats everything in his plate.

I ask because although the vet's says his weight is fine, I think he's a little thin, he weights 25kg. What do you guys think?
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: food question?

Post by cherriemater »

I have our boys on Taste of the Wild Prairie and they LOVE it! There are no additives so it shouldn't cause hot spots in Chows. It is well balanced and does NOT have any grain/corn. That Pedigree stuff is full of sugar and additives, I don't blame your Muneco for not liking it in the long run.

Here's a GREAT YouTube video to watch about proper nutrition for doggies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTWHxvjI ... ure=relmfu

Remember that switching out food should be done gradually. I had bought two kinds of food (small bags) just before we got the boys because I was not sure which they would like, Diamond Lamb/Rice Puppy or the TOTW Prairie. Since they LOVED the TOTW, I use the Diamond for their treats. It sorta causes a flatulance problem, but I'm not going to waste the food and they enjoy it.

Best of luck in your search for the right yum yums. Muneco is BEAUTIFUL!! I love his coloring.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

I use a three flavors of the same food to keep Belle & Chumley interested. I have always had good luck with Purina but I use the Select brand which does not have any corn or soy glutens & no artifical colors. The only time I have problems with hot spots is when I let the grass in the yard get too tall (my luck to have dogs with allergies to grass, lol).

I allow them to eat whenever they want so I have an automatic feeder that I combine the 3 flavors in. Any dog in general will always prefer human food and mine are no exception.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

My two are on Merrick's right now, several flavors and good quality food...that doesn't upset Dreamdancer's tummy, (Firesong can eat anything, but Dreamdancer will get the runs if the food is not right for him) Also I want to say that chows are like cats about food, they will do the "I'm not going to eat that today/tonight" thing just like a cat. However, no healthy animal will starve themselves to death, and chows are known for being picky and trying to get you to feed them "special" foods all the time. Find a food that you know is good for him and feed him that. Sometimes he won't eat all of it but once he gets it through his head that you aren't going to let him behave like that he will eat.

The Merrick's has calcium and vegetable bits in it, Firesong spits them out all over the floor...guess what, I gather them up and put them back in her bowl...she eats it eventually.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Jasper is on Taste of The Wild Wetlands formula. We switched him to it back in September and he's done really well on it.

We're currently trying to find something that won't upset Dixie's tummy. EVERYTHING we've tried for her has upset her stomach and given her the runs... So, she's still on Kibbles 'n bits...
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

I have exactly the same problem with lily. It is right what victory said about them being fussy. It is so hard to not give in. Normally she would just free feed, but she has to have medication on her food at the moment, so we have to give her 2 meals. So, we give her her normal food, arden grange, and then mix it with winalot, which is a wet food, and she seems to be eating it
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I have Ty on Nutro's natural choice, large breed puppy right now...he's on a stict poultry protein diet right now because of his hot spots. He seems to like it and doesn't seem to eat as much and he's a free feeder. Believe me, he's not skinny either lol. It's a nice food. He'll be moving to a regular food in February and I'll probably put him on the chicken or venison. They have a good range of selection.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

If it was me I would do your research and find the best food you can afford without corn, yeast and other nasties and low on grains which are just fillers for dogs anyway, then find the flavour he likes best. Then make some of your delicious chicken soup and pour on a small ladel full into his food and mix it up and everyone is happy. You could make a big batch and freeze it in small yogurt pots and get it out a day at a time. That way you can vary the soup mixture depending on what veg and meat is cheaper at the time and keep his interest but know that the nutrition is all there in the food you chose so carefully :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Kaysa wrote:Hello,

I ask because although the vet's says his weight is fine, I think he's a little thin, he weights 25kg. What do you guys think?
In the pictures of him, he looks like the more opened face, longer legged athletic type of chow. They are often leaner than the more stocky ones with the shorter more wrinkled faces. My two are like that, In fact all but two of my chows have been of that type. They always look a bit thin, nicely tucked tummy's and easily felt rib cages. The only way to put more real weight on them is to get them lots and lots of exercise to build muscle mass, but they will still have a leaner look and feel to them. Also the lower weight is better for their joints in the long run.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

@Victory ... I have one of BOTH! Can you believe it? Sometimes I wonder if they're from the same litter because they are polar opposites. Leo is lean and trim ... Max is a line-backer!! But boy do they love each other! In that I can tell they're litter mates.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Rory definitely fits the linebacker model. Just shy of 28 lbs at the vet yesterday. He is 3 and 1/2 months old, and vet says weight is perfect. I noticed that she didnt lift him up onto the table. We feed the Nutro Large Breed Puppy food, but he tends to just graze on this. His breakfast is about 8 oz of lowfat cottage cheese. He gets this as soon as we wake up. Evening meal is late, and usually about 45 minutes before bed time. He seems calmer at bedtime this way, and he has either hamburger or ground chicken breast. Breeder recommended this diet for the protein content, and the dairy seems to be great for his coat. Considering we cook more for the dog than ourselves, I'm not sure how long we will continue this, but any change in diet, even training treats, seem to have an effect on his digestion...we'll see.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Tipsys Mom: check with your vet for 'Prescription EN' it is specifically made for dogs with stomache problems. Our vet recommended it for Lady after her surgury to un-flip her stomache. It is really expensive and inconvienient (the only place that sells it is the vet) but was way worth it.
Kaysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kaysa »

Thank you for all your wonderful advices, I'm going to do a research on all available brands on the market here, but I think BeckiHutton hit the nail, Muñeco is free feed and he tends to stop eating because he knows that when he does it, we give him his favorite traits and my mom gives him his special chicken, he's playing with us I'm sure, but I'm a worry wart and I can't stop until I get him all the things he likes because I think he's thin but...
Victory wrote:In the pictures of him, he looks like the more opened face, longer legged athletic type of chow. They are often leaner than the more stocky ones with the shorter more wrinkled faces. My two are like that, In fact all but two of my chows have been of that type. They always look a bit thin, nicely tucked tummy's and easily felt rib cages.
Victory is right, Muñeco is the athletic kind of chow :D and he loves to run all over the place (when the weather is nice of course)