Chowlie went on a hunger strike...so i started cooking!

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chowlie went on a hunger strike...so i started cooking!

Post by MissV »

Hi guys...
just thought id share a quick n easy recipie for yummy dog food!
My chowlie started refusing to eat her kibble and went on a hunger strike for a full day and a half!!! I eventually succumbed and gave her some chicken, but it got me thinking about her diet all over again.
My vet said i shouldnt cook for my dog until she was over 18months and that I should continue to feed her Hills to ensure she got all the nutrients she needed, BUT, when i was off at puppy school last weekend, my trainer and others told me that the vets here all get kick backs from the sales of Hills so of course she would tell me that!!! The more Hills i buy, the more money I put in her pocket.
I was mad... ooooh, so so mad! DAMN THE MAN!

So - i stated to cook for my chowlie - and she's never been happier! Its easier for her to poop and she gets so excited for meal times, its not even funny!
I have a bunch of different recipies, but this one I made last night particularly went down well. Maybe you can try it too and let me know how it goes :>

I call them pup-cakes :>

2 cans DRAINED WELL of pilchards
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup carrots, diced or sliced
1/2 cup brocolli
1/2 cup rolled oats
3 eggs

Dice the pilchards up and remove the bones and yukki bits. Leave aside.
Cook the rice in water, when its almost done, throw in the broccoli (broken up into small floretts) and sliced carrots. Cook until the veg are tender. Try use just enough water so you dont have to drain once its cooked.
Once the rice and veg are done, remove off the stove and user a masher to mash up the broccoli florettes.
When they're good and smooshed into little pieces, add the pilchards. Leave to cook. Mix in the oats and 3 eggs until you get a consistency that you can make patties out of. Grease 2 baking trays and get them ready for the oven. 180.C for about 20-25mins until the top goes brown.
Remove from the oven, cool and FEED!

Can be frozen. makes about 12 big patties. I feed 2 with some kibble and some plain yoghurt to get everything moist.

:> Enjoy! If your pups try it, i hope they love it as much as mine does!
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chowlie went on a hunger strike...so i started cooking!

Post by MissV »

sorry, its LEAVE TO COOL - not leave to cook! LOL
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...