funny food habits

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

funny food habits

Post by Loha'sDad »

Most times when I refill Loha's bowl with kibble he will very gently remove 5 or 6 pieces, one at a time, and place them on the floor somewhere from 1 to 10 feet from the bowl. I have no idea what that is all about. Any of you have chowdren who do this or that perform other perplexing rituals with their food :?:

Loha's Dad
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: funny food habits

Post by Rory's Dad »

No problems of the kind with Rory, he is quite the food hound. My Teddee did that however. We used a different food brand with him, and it always seemed to me that he was picking his favorites, and removing the rest. Teddee's food had some different colors (and i imagine flavors) mixed in. I never quite got the pattern down. None of my boys ever displayed food aggresiveness, so i suspect Loha is quite comfortable leaving it for later. We just dont leave it for them because we need to clean up. On the plus side, i think that displays a good sign that Loha wont overeat. Chows are pretty good in that respect, dont find too many that are overweight.

I wouldnt worry about it, as long as he is eating and has a healthy weight. Probably just picking his favorites out of the kibble mix. Could also be trying to set some aside for later, similar to burying a bone.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry will sometimes take a treat and then 'hide' it for later - usually in the middle of the back yard, in plain sight. He'll then come back in and want another treat to eat now :roll:
Thank you Sweatpea
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tabate45 »

my Tasha used to do that. I just picked it up and put it back. They are funny little things aren't they?
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Just thought of another one, sometimes Henry will take a treat, decide he doesn't want it, spits it out and waits for something better to be placed into his mouth.
Thank you Sweatpea
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Here's another one my boy will do. Sometimes when I give him a new rawhide chew he will simply put it in front of him and he will lay there and admire it, licking it occasionally, and even go away and come back to it after a little while before he starts chewing it in ernest. I think chows demonstrate extreme self control at times.

Loha's Dad
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

I HAVE to share this, although it is not chow related.

This was Kimba's companion for nine years, Rocky. Joe's Long-haired Dutch Sherpherd. Age 12, we believe, in this photo.
Rocky Martin
Rocky Martin
40228_106288449429791_100001459102729_53918_2008602_n.jpg (52.28 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
40342_106288712763098_100001459102729_53920_932109_n.jpg
40342_106288712763098_100001459102729_53920_932109_n.jpg (108.2 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
Joe tells me a story of before we were married. He would get pig ears for Kimba and Rocky. Kimba would immediately sit down and begin on hers. Rocky, however would disappear with his then come back and sit in the living room. This went on for quite some time. Joe thought, perhaps, Rocky was just enjoying his in privacy ... that is until laundry day arrived. (As a bachelor is laundry basket was his bedroom floor.) He went in to gather up his laundry and found TWELVE pig ears burried in his laundry. Rocky must have been saving up for a rainy day!!! I can only imagine. What a hoot!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

My special Chowlie takes a mouthful of food, runs away from her bowl, then spits it out and eats them one by one. Crazy puppy! I think she was a hamster in her past life! ;)
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Too, too funny MissV!! Max will do that with his treats if Leo is not around, who will steal anything that drops.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
gdemott
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gdemott »

Grizzly is very finicky. he will eat a stew dinner, everything but the peas. how he misses them i will never know but his food is all gone except twelve peas in the bottom of the bowl. we also get him O.N.E. and he eats all the soft chicken bits out before the hard kibble. Many times with treats he acts like i am trying to poison him and many he will not eat. We finally just get human jerky until Milo's came out.
Sumo's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sumo's Mom »

Piff Poff wrote:Just thought of another one, sometimes Henry will take a treat, decide he doesn't want it, spits it out and waits for something better to be placed into his mouth.
Haha Sumo does that all the time! :)