what do you feed to your chow chow?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

remart071789
Rank 0
Rank 0

what do you feed to your chow chow?

Post by remart071789 »

:D I fed mine when she was still 2 months old, ORIJEN PUPPY, she really loves it but my problem was that her urine had a very strong smell and she always had this runny poop. So, I switch to ACANA PACIFICA, my chow chow also loves it, her urine didn't smell much then and her poop became firm, I started feeding the acana when she was around 2 and a half months old until now she's 5 months old, I was told this dog foods are premium dog foods so I didn't bother to add supplements to them. Here are her Pics since 2 months old, hope you'll like her :D
Attachments
5 months old
5 months old
DSC02663edit.jpg (50.91 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
3 months old w/ her mom:)
3 months old w/ her mom:)
IMG_1724edit.jpg (35.66 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
2 months old
2 months old
IMG_1709edit.png (153.08 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: what do you feed to your chow chow?

Post by Rory's Dad »

We have followed what our breeder had the puppy on. Nutro Large Breed Puppy Formula. Due to age, the breeder moistened the chow, but based on vet advise we have switched to dry at 11 weeks to exercise the teeth and gums. Rory gets Lowfat Cottage Cheese for breakfast and either boiled chicken breast or ground beef for dinner. He weighed in at a perfect 18.9 lbs at his last vet check and has great coat and structure.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

My poor puppy has had a good couple of changes in his food. His breeder gave him Pedigree. I bought him Purina when I first got him as that's what I had my dogs on growing up and didn't know any better. I switched him to Science diet and then he started to show possibile food allergy or upset through hot spots. I currently have him on Nuvo's Natural choice. I like it so far and have heard good things about it. Hopefully this one works out. :)
Sumo's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sumo's Mom »

The breeder was feeding Sumo Royal Canin and I tried Acana and Oven Baked but he just didn't like it so we tried Orijen Puppy food and I am happy to see that he is enjoying it.
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

i cant get over how adorable your chowlie is!!!! <3
Anyway, here in South Africa the top dog food is Hills Science Diet. I've fed my chow that since i got her. Her poop is fine. Not runny at all. In fact, she's only ever had a runny tummy once since I got her and shes almost 6 months now. I feed for "large breed" - vets orders because although a chow is regarded as a medium sized dog, its actually quite a large dog, so for proper skeletal development I must feed large breed doggie food.
When my chowlie is 18 months old I'm switching her over to "raw" foods (ie: food that I can cook at home for her) because I know what goes into it so its safe... and I'll suppliment her diet with conditioning tablets. The vet said that it will be safe for me to feed her raw food, but only after 18 months as the Hills has all the right nutrients right now for her development.
Not sure how much Hills costs overseas, but here its around USD$100 to feed my chowlie for the month (excluding treats of course!) :mrgreen:
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
remart071789
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by remart071789 »

I heard good reviews of these dog food brands:
orijen, acana, canidae, go natural, evo, wellness

maybe these brands are available at your area, I also read a lot of reviews about hills, purina, pedigree, and there not good as dog foods. they have premium prices yet they have poor ingredients. so if you can, you should check it out. I hope this helps . .

and also to missV, thank you for your compliment to my baby chow hehe and I also have a 9yo terrier mix, he's on raw diet with supplements also, and in very healthy state, coat is great too,

thank you guys! and good luck to all of us and all of our chows :D
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

Science diet gave our puppy hot spots. So did Eaglepack. Now we use Hollistic anchovy. EVO is good quality and no allergies but it gave him the runs.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My chow girl ate dog chow and kibbles 'n bits her entire life and thrived on it. My mix boy, Jasper developed allergies so he and my mix girl, Dixie, eat Taste of The Wild Wetlands formula.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

not one of those foods you mentioned exists here :( Like i said, Hills is the best we get *how sad*
and all the vets tell you to feed hills *SO SAD!!!*
cant wait until i can start feeding my good home cooked meals!
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
remart071789
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by remart071789 »

ooww i'm sorry to hear that missV, anyway as long as you keep your chow happy, that's what is important . . . good luck to you and your chow, Godspeed:-)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

We are feeding Iams lamb and rice. I had a new bag out in the van, and check the label. I did not realize that corn was one of the ingredients. Hmmm...I will have to think a bit before I consider changing. The dogs like it. They will put on extra weight if I feed too much, so it does have nutrition. We have gone though changing feed, and it is a hassle to find something that nutritionally is good for the dogs and is something that they like. We tried one of the top name recommended foods, but it gave Malachi a loose stool, so we switched to Iams.
Towbartone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Towbartone »

We feed charlie on chicken and rice, duck and rice kibble, lamb and rice kibble, tuna and pasta, he loves his scrambled eggs and poached eggs in the morning, he also loves his rice pudding.

He is one now and has no allergies or skin problems, we make sure he has his worming and flea and tick pills on time.

Chows love fish so any oily based fish will help them with their coats and skin.