what to feed for weight gain

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

RhondaR
Rank 0
Rank 0

what to feed for weight gain

Post by RhondaR »

As many of you know a Chow found me about 1 1/2 months ago. He is still very thin and we are hoping he will start putting weight on soon bc he is being treated for Lyme disease. Would feeding him puppy food help him gain weight more easily? (he is probably around 6 years old) Right now I just feed some dry adult food and some canned food. He also gets some people food, such as chicken or beef when we are having some. When he first showed up he had very loose stools so I fed him rice and hamburger (with about a tablespoon of canned pumpkin) for the first week to get him straightened out. He ate that like it was the best thing he had ever eaten.
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: what to feed for weight gain

Post by Loha'sDad »

Considering the fact that he apparently loves it, why not feed him rice and hamburger (with about a tablespoon of canned pumpkin)?

Loha's Dad
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: what to feed for weight gain

Post by chowpups »

A while ago I was given a liquid can of what I called doggie ensure.. (its like the liquid milk stuff they give people who need to gain weight for one reason or another.) I totally forgot all about it cause Nikki started eating ground up meats and did fine with that , but I guess if a dog needs to put weight on this would be something to check out. I didn't pay alot of attention to it, but if you are looking for something to supplement with this might be of some interest. I know its expensive but if its something once a week you have to give or less for a short time span, that might help put some lbs. on. Iam taking Nikki to the drs. tomorrow she is having some issues and I will ask if this is something she thinks Nikki could benefit from taking ... Maybe someone else on here has used this product and could say if it helped.. I forget the exact name at the moment. sorry..I'll try to find out the exact name.