food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow315

food

Post by chow315 »

what should chows be fed fed? grain or meat or vegetables or a combination? i buy the best food possible. my 16 yrold died last week of lymphoma. on a different website they said lymphoma was caused by grain in food. anyone know or have ideas?thanks
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: food

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Lymphoma's not caused by grain in food. But dogs can't digest grains and starches like we can.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: food

Post by Shane »

Yes dogs can digest grains or any for of plant material for that matter. The reason being is because of the plants cell wall (or cellulose). However, once the cell wall is broken down (mainly by the way of cooking) then the nutrients of the cell wall can be assimilated. Naturally a dog can't digest carbohydrates (like I mentioned earlier) also due to the fact that they do not have the flat molars to crush their food, and their digestive enzymes can't break down the cellulose. So in instances when plant material isn't broken down it has the possibility of causing diarrhea (all that fiber like material). However, carbohydrates are

Well about lymphoma, grains are not the source (generally speaking). There are so much variables that can cause any type of cancer (such as chemicals, pesticides, air pollution, genetics, etc.) you name it.