Feeding Raw

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Feeding Raw

Post by BeckiHutton »

Hi everyone :0 just a quick query. Lily has been getting lots and lots of hotspots recently and has been wearing one of those lampshade collars virtually 24/7 to stop her from scratching herself. So, I have decided to try feeding raw as I have heard nothing but good things about it.

My query is, does anybody have any tips for what to feed her for all the goodness that she needs, and also where i can get the meat from. I can buy it from my local supermarket, but it is so expensive, I cannot afford to spend more than £35/month. Any comments/tips are greatly appreciated. thank you in aadvance
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Chowchowmum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Feeding Raw

Post by Chowchowmum »

Hi,
I have recently started to feed my two girls on a semi-raw diet. They get one raw meal and one kibble meal a day, i woud like to feed complete raw but don't have the freezer space at the moment to store it all.
We get our raw food delivered from raw2go, which is much cheaper than the supermarkets, even with the added postage costs. We started ours off with just chicken at first, then gradually introduced other meats such as lamb and beef, as well as chicken wings, raw meaty bones etc. They were both often leaving their meals and generally un-interested in food before going to raw but now they are excited and we have empty bowls for both meals. I would definately recommend :D
Katie
Proud owner of Bella & Cleo
Wttonbell Chow Chows
http://www.wittonbellchowchows.co.uk
Thank you Siriol for the Banner!!
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Thanks for the advice :) i have started feeding Lily just a raw chicken wing every day and she absolutely loves it. She eats it with the bone within minutes.
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Pixie's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pixie's Mom »

Hi, I have been feeding my chow chow Pixie a raw diet since she was 3 months old and now she is 7 years old. She gets nothing but raw meat and bones and an occasional raw egg plus extra virgin olive oil; plus a dollop of gravy that has vitamins and added nutrients and for snacks, she loves raw baby carrots and edemame, plus shrimp tails as a rare offering. I use a small table-top freezer plus the limited space in the frig/freezer and since I only have one dog, it seems to work well. I have found sources thru freecycle when people are moving and have to clean their freezer (or when they have freezer-burned items) and those are 'bonus' servings for her. A previous chow of ours had serious hot spots and itchy skin and a poor coat so I am pleased to say I think the raw diet is very good for a chow's health; Pixie has never had any negative conditions and her coat is very soft and pretty and easy to clean and brush. I pull out a frozen hunk of food every 3 days and even though she doesn't tuck into her food and gobble it down all at once, she may leave it sitting in her bowl for a few hours and then take her time chewing it really well.
Even if you decide that you can't provide raw meat and bones, I encourage you to add a raw egg once a week and/or some good oil to your chow's diet. Let us know how it goes.
:D