Avoid red meat???

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

richyyxx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Avoid red meat???

Post by richyyxx »

I recently purchased a chow chow for the first time 2 months ago, the pup is roughly 17 weeks now. The breeder told us to avoid giving the chow chow red meat - the reason was never explained and i am just curious as to why my puppy is not allowed red meat? any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Avoid red meat???

Post by Shane »

Had to go and look it up but I Know I came across something that may assist you, but not really answer your question.

Okay, I do recommend that you try and see if you can get your breeder's reason. It maybe because her dog's may have not done well on it. I am assuming that you are feeding your dog a raw diet? Well one of my dog's in particular can eat almost any meat which it generally doesn't really matter. However, if he eats pork he vomits.

Okay when it comes to what you feed your dogs variety is key to reach optimal health, through the variety of foods that you ingest and not just one source of food over and over again. So feeding a balanced mixture of beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, duck, mackrel, sardine, salmon and so on is best than rather feeding just one type of food.

I got this from "Chow Chows" by James B. Atkinson, "beef and lamb contain saturated fatty acids, so you will need to supplement them with soft and liquid fats found in lard, poultry fat, horsemeat, liver, fish, corn oil and other vegatable oils".

I have no idea why she would rule out red meat in general, the only thing that I can come up with is that her dogs may not have done well on it and have sensitivities towards one or two red meats and she just ruled them out to avoid any issues what so ever. There is nothing that I came across said that you shouldn't feed a dog read meat, however to make sure that they are able to ingest a variety.

Shane
Michealleo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Avoid red meat???

Post by Michealleo »

Raw chicken necks and raw eggs are indeed safe and healthy but that's not a complete and balanced diet.

The diet I feed is called Prey Model and consists of 80% raw meat, 10% raw bone, 5% liver, and 5% other organs. I also feed fish oil, green tripe, and an occasional whole, raw egg. Feed 2-3% of your dog's expected adult body weight per day.