Food For Chows

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tracer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Food For Chows

Post by Tracer »

Yesterday I brought home my 3rd chow puppy. I have not had a dog for 9 years. My question is with food. The breeder used IAMS which I won't feed to my chow. The puppy is 8 weeks old. I am thinking up feeding Embark dehydrated turkey and vegetables . And Orijen dry which is chicken turkey and fish based. The breeder said chicken based products gave chows hot spots. So that is my question. Also I lost one chow to the hper extended stomach. And that I don't want to go thru again.

Thanks\\

Tracer
Last edited by Tracer on Tue May 31, 2011 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katjusa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Food For Chows

Post by Katjusa »

I'm feeding my chow chicken based Arden Grange and she's got a wonderful coat and everything is okay... no problems at all
My friend (she doesn't have a chow though) feeds her dog Orijen and is very happy with it so I suppose I'd recommend that one because I know her dog is healthy
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

I had a chow for many many years, she was extremly allergic to chicken. She would itch and itch and itch. As soon as we switched her to another brand she would clear up and you could tell she felt much better. So I think it just depends on the Chow. Good Luck
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

chicken based foods do not cause hot spots. It just depends on if your dog has allergies. One thing that i founf helpful in selecting a dog food is this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTWHxvjI ... ure=relmfu

There is also a part 2.