Ingredient rations in dog food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

krisxing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ingredient rations in dog food

Post by krisxing »

We're feeding our 6-month-old Chowling Nala a Korean brand dog food, and they've been in business for 20 years and do a lot of research, but I'm not 100% sure it's the best thing we can give her. Foreign brands (American = foreign here) are much more expensive here, and I can't afford to spend more on her food than on mine and my husband's put together. I've done a lot of research, but I still feel like I know nothing. I compared the ingredients list and ratios with Solid Gold, and it was similar, but I'd like to get some more opinions. Based on my very limited knowledge of dog foods, it looks pretty good to me, but I don't trust myself there.

Here's the guaranteed analysis:
Crude Protein 30.0% min
Crude Fat 16.0% min
Calcium 1.00% min
Phosphorous 2.30% max
Crude Fiber 3.0% max
Crude Ash 12.0% max
That leaves about 35.7% carbs, unless my math is terrible.

Also, if anyone is an ingredients expert, please glance at this and tell me if anything looks strange.
The ingredients list is: lamb meat meal, rice, chicken meat meal, ground yellow corn, corn gluten, chicken fat, animal fat, beet pulp, vitamin E, Potassium chloride, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper oxide, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, biotin, folic acid, thiamine momonitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), cobalt sulfate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, dried yucca extract.

Thank you!
Raising little Nala to be healthy so she can meet her Simba someday <3
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Ingredient rations in dog food

Post by Merlin »

This is a poor quality food.

Any dog food with corn, soy, glutens are generally considered low quality food sources for dogs . and this particular food is loaded with empty caloried fillers, and of all things , foods that contain menadione sodium bisulfite should be avoided like the plague

Again you can learn about the ramifications of these ingredients at
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
krisxing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Ingredient rations in dog food

Post by krisxing »

Merlin wrote: Any dog food with corn, soy, glutens are generally considered low quality food sources for dogs . and this particular food is loaded with empty caloried fillers, and of all things , foods that contain menadione sodium bisulfite should be avoided like the plague
Thank you. Now that you pointed out that fake vitamin K compound, I did some research, and it's scary. I can't believe I didn't catch that earlier! We'll throw that food away and get something better today or tomorrow. Spending tons of money on her food is better than watching her die because we're on a budget.
Raising little Nala to be healthy so she can meet her Simba someday <3