Hill's I/D canned food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jesn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hill's I/D canned food

Post by jesn »

Hi, my puppy Pumba is about 6 months old when he started showing signs of a very sensitive GI tract. he was vomiting a white foam almost every morning for over a week and constant diarrhea. So we brought him to the vet and after doing blood tests to rule out pancreatitis etc, the vet prescribed him Hill's I/D canned food. I've fed him this before after another episode of diarrhea and it is indeed effective in stopping the diarrhea but like many of you here, I really do not like the ingredients that Science Diet has in its line of foods. The wet canned food ingredients are a lot better than the dry food but I am still very wary of feeding him any food from Science Diet. He was previously on Solid Gold but apparently its not sitting well with him too.

So I would really like to ask what do you guys think about feeding him I/D long term? I'm afraid to experiment with other commercial dog food because I've tried Wellness, Solid Gold and Wilderness and he still had the problem of diarrhea. To be honest, I would most prefer to prepare his food myself such as boiled chicken with brown rice, eggs, green beans, sweet potatoes etc but I'm not sure if this is the best way for him. My vet is very strongly against self-prepared foods and he wants me to feed my dog Science Diet. I'm really not sure what would be best for my dog.... I feel like what's good for me should be good for him too (with the exception of chocolate, garlic, onions, grapes etc) but I'm also afraid of mixing his diet up constantly. If I prepare homecooked meals for him, I'm sure the veggies I use would vary a little depending on what's on sale etc so I'm really at a lost here. What would you guys suggest?

I'm also wondering if any of you have tried Solid Gold's seameal supplement. I was mixing it a little with his dry kibble about 2 days before he started having chronic diarrhea and I'm thinking it might have to do with the supplement.. sign why does this have to be so complicated :( i wish i could just feed him what i eat sans all the seasonings and foods that are toxic to dogs.
Last edited by jesn on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jesn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Hill's I/D canned food

Post by jesn »

Water, Egg Product, Turkey, Rice, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Pork Liver, Soy Fiber, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Taurine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid.

These are the ingredients in the I/D canned food. It doesn't seem too bad actually but I'm really not sure why so many people are against it. What do you guys think?
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Hills really is food with avoiding whenever possible. ( JHMO)
you can check it out at www.dogfoodanalysis.com
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by valerierichard27 »

Nelly had a bad alergy to food, so the vet put her on Purnina DRM and some people gave me crap about it saying it was terrible (and so on) but it heled Nelly alot with her weight and allergies so i honestly think that if the food you give your dog, stops the vomitting and diahrea, keep that food, all dogs are different, even if they are the same breed it doesnt mean that they all have the same difficulties with food. Good luck