orijen adult or solid gold wolf king?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

orijen adult or solid gold wolf king?

Post by ccyang »

Hi everyone!

Because I didn't get any response on my last posting, I decided to start a new topic....maybe will get some advise, hopefully.
So Pong just turned a year old and I'm gonna swith his food to adult. After spending hours reading different past discussions about what you feed your chow babies, I'm still undecided between 2 brands.
My first choice is Orijen adult food, its rated as a 6 star in the dog food analysis review. My only worry is about the level of protein/meat....its 40% min. guaranteed protein. I read that chows should have around 30% protein in their meal. But, I do like the fact that they claim that all ingredients are ethoxyquin free (a chemical preservative often found in fish ingredients) and that it's grain free.

As for my second choice, its Solid Gold Wolf King. I know it seems to be the most popular among all you chow parents. But according to the same food analysis website, its considered as a 4 star and has only 22% protein. This is the opposite of Orijen, there's not sufficient protein for my baby. And they don't guarantee anything about being ethoxyquin free and there's grain in it.

So what do you suggest?
Any help is greatly appreciated.....I've been worrying about it for the past 2 months.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: orijen adult or solid gold wolf king?

Post by Piff Poff »

I have been feeding Henry Solid Gold Wolfing for three years, for the past year and a half I have added adult Orijen to the mix, so when his bowl is empty he gets 2 cups of SG and half to three quarters a cup of Orijen, he is doing really well. I free feed Henry but only tend to have to fill his bowl daily, sometimes he gets a double fill up (am and pm) but that is rare.
Thank you Sweatpea
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: orijen adult or solid gold wolf king?

Post by Victory »

I had my two on Solid Gold for Dreamdancer's first year...I don't think it has enough meat in it for them, cause they never got firm stool, (and it stayed yellow, ick!) I think mixing the Solid Gold with the Orijen might be a good idea. 40% protein is a bit high from all the reading on nutrition I've done, for a canine. It should be about 30%, 22% is too low, I'm feeding Mericks Wilderness blend right now, with 24% protein. I like the results, I also feed Solid Gold jerky treats though, almost all lamb...adds that extra bit they need.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!