Chow mix loss of appetite

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

OzzyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow mix loss of appetite

Post by OzzyBear »

Hey guys. I am a new chow owner, but I do have questions. First off he isn't a full chow, his daddy was a full bred but his momma was a mix of many breeds. Also, he is three months old and I haven't really delt with a dog who isn't hungry at three months. When I look at him he looks like a chow but with a lab type face (I'll try to get a pic up soon). First what is a good food to give him I've tried the nutro puppy food he liked it, then I tried some ol' roy and he liked it too. I'm trying a third which is Grreat Choice from petsmart, but he's not going so wild about it? Do you think he may just want some moistness to his food? I think so, but I wanted to get some opinions. He's still energetic, pays attention and loves to play, so the only thing I've noticed was his eating habit. I have heard that chow's need to be on more of a vegetarian diet, but I would like to know is that really true. Thanks for the help in advance.
Zhuyos mom

Re: Chow mix loss of appetite

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Welcome to the site! You should feed your puppy a good quality kibble specially formulated for puppies. I fed my chowlings Solid Gold Wolf Cub. It is not true that chows need to be on a vegetarian diet. What you should keep a look out for are ingredients that are skin allergy triggers on the breed such as "corn". If you read through our nutrition section and the "best of nutrition" section, you'll be able to get a good grasp on what many of the members fed their pups. Also, you don't really need to moisten his food. You could add a Tbsp or two of canned dog food. He might enjoy that and help stimulate his appetite. Just be mindful to not over feed him. And you might want to check his poop to make sure he doesn't have any worms squirming around by getting a sample to the vet.
OzzyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow mix loss of appetite

Post by OzzyBear »

thanks for the info. I haven't fully read through the site yet, but I'm working on it. Well now that I know this I shall make sure he gets what he needs.