Very Picky Eater - NEED HELP

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

paulz01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Very Picky Eater - NEED HELP

Post by paulz01 »

So, my 9 month old is the classic drama queen. She's 34lbs. She's very snobby when it comes to other dogs but loves her family. Same goes for food.

She does not eat anymore! For the past month or two I have been forced to soak her dry kibbles with water mix it with a little bit of rice, some meat, and dog sauce for flavor. The first 2 weeks worked out well. She would eat it all up but now adays she will take 2-3 bites and walk away. I feed her 3 times a day. A cup of kibbles each. 1/4 cup of water and 1/8 cup of rice and the dog sauce.

My dry kibbles has been IAMS lamb and rice formula - then i went back to puppy IAMS formula because i figured that will make her eat more but i guess not. However, she LOVES can food. She can never get enough of it. She would beg for more after finishing one can. I don't wanna be forced to feed her can food for the rest of life because i know they don't provide the same like the dry kibbles. I would rather feed her can food twice a week but not with every single meal.

Anyways, my local specialty pet food store has these brand:

Innova
California Natural
Health Wise
Solid Gold
Evo
A few more I can't remember.

I was going to buy Solid Gold but the manager told me that they don't have the small 5lb bag anymore just the big one, so I ended up getting the Health Wise puppy formula. As to my dismay, my dog sniffed it, took a little bite, and walked away. So I'm going back later and try to exchange the 5lb bag and get something else, any suggestion?

Any suggestions? How can I make her eat again? I'm really frustrated - I don't want to starve her and force her to eat.
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Very Picky Eater - NEED HELP

Post by bellabear27 »

We had a similar issue with Bella.. she just did not like any of the brands of food that we brought home. We must have exchanged at least 5 bags of food that had one or two cups taken out of it because Bella would just turn her nose up at it. Finally, we found a brand that her, and her brother, Bruin, liked.. it is called Taste of the Wild. I'm not sure if you have it where you are too, but both love it. We are currently using the salmon formula, but they like the other types as well.

Also, I found that sprinkling a little bit of Parmesan cheese over her kibble really helped.. she wanted the cheese so much that she would eat whatever kibble it was sprinkled on. It also worked well with yogurt!

Hope this helps!

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
paulz01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Very Picky Eater - NEED HELP

Post by paulz01 »

bellabear27 wrote: Also, I found that sprinkling a little bit of Parmesan cheese over her kibble really helped.. she wanted the cheese so much that she would eat whatever kibble it was sprinkled on. It also worked well with yogurt!
thanks! well shes finally eating now. Hmmm, Sugar also loves cheese - i used to give her 'lil bits of cheese when i was training her. Yogurt and cheese does not hurt their diet? Since both are dairy product?

Right now, I have to mix dog sauce in California Natura Chicken puppy meal for her to eat and sometimes add a little bit of wet dog food on it. Then microwave it for 10 seconds and mix it well. She really regulates her food intake too, she would only eat 2 1/4 cups of food every day - so i have to break it up to two meals.