Rice for Chow Chow ,is it no good??

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

eddy wong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Rice for Chow Chow ,is it no good??

Post by eddy wong »

Since May ,I was feeding my Chow with 2 bowls of Rice + 1 spoonful ground beef + 2 spoons dry dog food ,2 times a day
,my Chow is 5 months old,weight 52 Lbs

some body told me don't feed my Chow with too much Rice,because High Sugar from Rice will caused Diabetes to the dog ??
Is this true ??
any comments / advice.........thanks
Zhuyos mom

Re: Rice for Chow Chow ,is it no good??

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Your 5 month old chowling at 52 lbs, imo, is overweight. Average weight for a chow that age is 35 lbs. maximum. And I certainly would not feed my puppy 4 BOWLS of rice a day. It's a bit much. White rice? Your % of protein in relation to the amount of carbohydrate you're feeding him/her is very low and lacks vegetables. The 4 spoons of dog food will not provide the needed vitamins, minerals and antioxidents to maintain good health.

Is there a specific reason you chose to feed your chowling the diet you are giving? Did you have a previous dog who thrived in that kind of meal? I am just curious because it doesn't appear to be balanced nutrition and yes, can lead to health problems in the future such as diabetes.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

eddy wong wrote:Since May ,I was feeding my Chow with 2 bowls of Rice + 1 spoonful ground beef + 2 spoons dry dog food ,2 times a day
,my Chow is 5 months old,weight 52 Lbs

some body told me don't feed my Chow with too much Rice,because High Sugar from Rice will caused Diabetes to the dog ??
Is this true ??
any comments / advice.........thanks
They are absolutely correct.
If anything it should be the other way around. You should be serving your dog 2 bowls of meat with "some" rice. RIce is a carbohydrate which resolves itself as sugar in the body. It's a food that humans have evolved to digest and utilize. Dogs have not. In essence, for dogs, it's a cheap, and nutritionally poor filler.
Unlike humans, dogs get their energy from fats and not from carbs.
In fact, your dog doesn't have any nutritional requirements for carboydrates at all.
You can feed your dog meat and you'd be feeding him very well. Keep the rice for yourself! It's human food.
:)
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
eddy wong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eddy wong »

Zhuyos mom wrote:Your 5 month old chowling at 52 lbs, imo, is overweight. Average weight for a chow that age is 35 lbs. maximum. And I certainly would not feed my puppy 4 BOWLS of rice a day. It's a bit much. White rice? Your % of protein in relation to the amount of carbohydrate you're feeding him/her is very low and lacks vegetables. The 4 spoons of dog food will not provide the needed vitamins, minerals and antioxidents to maintain good health.

Is there a specific reason you chose to feed your chowling the diet you are giving? Did you have a previous dog who thrived in that kind of meal? I am just curious because it doesn't appear to be balanced nutrition and yes, can lead to health problems in the future such as diabetes.

They are absolutely correct.
If anything it should be the other way around. You should be serving your dog 2 bowls of meat with "some" rice. RIce is a carbohydrate which resolves itself as sugar in the body. It's a food that humans have evolved to digest and utilize. Dogs have not. In essence, for dogs, it's a cheap, and nutritionally poor filler.
Unlike humans, dogs get their energy from fats and not from carbs.
In fact, your dog doesn't have any nutritional requirements for carboydrates at all.
You can feed your dog meat and you'd be feeding him very well. Keep the rice for yourself! It's human food.
:)[/quote]

thanks for your comment
I should change his meal to more veg and meat instead of RICE

however,I still have little confuse from the "Article FEEDING"
http://www.chowchow.org/info/care.html
Feeding

After the Chows is at least a year old it is fine for them to eat one meal a day. Although many choose to feed them twice a day. The feeding time should be consistent as much as possible to maintain proper health. For those who feed once a day it is recremended to feed in the evening, since an animal tends to settle down quietly to sleep after a meal.

When choosing the correct feed for your chow, it is important to remember that the Chow cannot be fed a lot of meat, if you do the dog tends to have skin problems. A good source of protein for them is eggs, rice, cottage cheese, and maybe a small spoonful of meat per meal (but don't overdo it, it will be more harm than good). One of the most common is rice. Rice is very good for their digestive system and great for a shiny coat. A well recremended dog food is "Solid Gold" (proper vitamins and protein) for the adult. This should be mixed with warm water (no gravy stuff). If you do feed a meal dry, make sure it is a ready-expanded meal otherwise the gases produced in the stomach when the dry food becomes wet could well produce the very serious problem of torsion and cause death of the dog. Most of the food you find in supermarkets tend to be filled with preservatives and added products that can be bad for your dog in the long run. It is best to stick to the same general diet with minor variations (chicken or vegetable stew mixed with meal) to assure a good healthy dog.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

thanks for your comment
I should change his meal to more veg and meat instead of RICE
Well no... your dog needs meat. It doesn't need rice and it doesn't need vegetables. it's a dog, a decendant of a wolf.

Vegetables are also laden with sugars and salts and your dog does not possess the molars to crush the cellulose on vegetable and plant matter so there is no or very limited bio-availaibility to your dog.
Why are you trying to feed your dog everything except what he is supposed to have? I don't understand this.

If you want your dog to be healthy you have to be able to feed it approriately.
I hope you are not doing this because you are trying to take shortcuts.

Your dog, just like ourselves, requires quality nutrition if he's going to grow up healthy and strong.
It's important for us to make wise food choices for them, because they rely on us to do so.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

After the Chows is at least a year old it is fine for them to eat one meal a day. Although many choose to feed them twice a day. The feeding time should be consistent as much as possible to maintain proper health. For those who feed once a day it is recommended to feed in the evening, since an animal tends to settle down quietly to sleep after a meal.
I don't know who wrote the above information but it's a load of garbage. A dog given the choice will eat food when ever it is hungry or whenever food is available. The ONLY reason some people have gravitated towards feeding it once a day, is because they only want to pick up after their dogs once a day, and that has nothing to do with the dog, it's entirely beneficial to the owner. They can eat at any time of the day or night and it's not written anywhere that they should be fed at the same time everyday. Certainly left to their own devices or in the wild , they would not eat at the same time everyday, but at random, or whenever hunger/ food / or pportunity would present itself.
When choosing the correct feed for your chow, it is important to remember that the Chow cannot be fed a lot of meat,
This is the biggest load of garbage I've ever heard in my entire life. Skin problems started from cheap protein sources such as corn or soy in commercial foods.
I really shiver when I read crap like this. I can tell you it's absolutely, excruciatingly NOT true - FALSE and ridiculous information. It's an absolute load of nonsense.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Domesticated dogs are omnivores. Eddy Wong, read through the best of nutrition and nutrition sections of this site and choose how you want to feed your chowling. There are many ways of thought regarding food and chows. Too much of anything is bad (meat, rice, treats etc) and eventually your chow will show the ill effects from it - be the side effects diarrhea, hot spots, poor gut system, obesity, what have you. Rice is fine in moderation. Since you buy commercial dog food in the first place, if it is quality why don't you just feed that to your chowling?
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Too much of anything is bad (meat

I have to tell you, the above entirely absurd.

What defines an omnivore is their physical attributes to be one.
While surely dogs are scavengers, opportunists and when starving will eat anything including feces, they are not "physical " omnivores in the true sense. They do not have molars like true omnivores do, such as humans, apes, baboons and bears - they teeth that are clearly carnivorous - meant for ripping, and tearing, NOT pulverizing like omnivores and herbivores. I'd like to see you write to the Smithsonian Institute telling them that they are wrong and you are right.

This is often where the internet becomes a scary place. Mis-Information!

Sure feed your dogs vegetables as long as you don't count it as a fulfilling part of a canine diet.

MM
Last edited by Merlin on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

My boy Loha, coming up on 3 years old, eats nothing but dry dog food from a bowl that is always available. He properly regulates himself and is not the least bit overweight nor underweight. He is fit, healthy, and the current vet's office spontaneously included in their notes from his first visit about a year ago that he has a "beautiful" coat. And all of that from Beneful "Playful Life" food, a minimum of 3-4 walks per day and regular "raking" as grooming.

Loha's Dad
one.jpg
one.jpg (200.98 KiB) Viewed 11642 times