Treats, Which do you use? Healthy

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Treats, Which do you use? Healthy

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

What treats do you all use? My last Chow enjoyed Nutros Lamb and Rice cookies but Maggie turns her nose up at them. For a real treat she get some cut up steak or a few pieces of chicken but what biscuit types do you use? I don't mean filled with chemicals, I want to keep her teeth clean so something crunchy. As far as rawhide I can't let her have them very long for she disintergrates them in a few minutes. I even had the butcher give me a thigh bone but she lost interest as soon as the meat was gone, I think she realized she couldn't destroy it. Something healthy and thank you all for a very enlightening forum.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Treats, Which do you use? Healthy

Post by Piff Poff »

I like to get Henry the freeze dried ELK/BISON livers, they don't last long though. I also get him Denta Stix although I'm not sure how healthy they are :? I have got a whole bag and a whole jar ready to take to the shelter of treats he won't touch - usually we get halfway through before he sticks his nose up :roll:

Henry is a bit of a bugger in that he won't go outside unless he has a treat to take with him, so small ones are usually the order of the day in this house :shock:
Thank you Sweatpea
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

Rocco and Julie love Duck Breast Jerky, and Yummy Chummies (Wild Alaskan Salmon treats). The duck breast is crunchy (you can do Chicken Breast too, Rocco is allergic to chicken) and they're both very pungent. The chows go crazy for them, and nothing else. For a longer lasting treat, we do bully sticks.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

chowling1964 wrote:good old fashioned milk bones.
I second that. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Himalayan Dog Chews.
Pricey but they last long and the chows go nuts over them!
willfrommaine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfrommaine »

I use Zukes mini naturals, chicken flavor. Dora likes those.
VIOLET315
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VIOLET315 »

i buy real bones and cook them. pribncerss can't wait for the next one. i only give her a couple a week . they're quite big. today i cooked her some homemade dog food and she really liked it
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

I give Little Bear carrots sometimes as treats.. hahahah my poor little chow has no idea they are healthy! I tricked her into liking them!! She gets very excited when I get out the costco bag... she sits for them and everything and then goes to the back door because she likes to eat them out side... just like her bones!

I don't know if your girl is as easily tricked into mine, but give it a try. They are cheap and healthy (some argue that there are high sugar levels in them...)
My Chow loves them!

Other healthy treats that we use are: Raw Bison Bones, Elk Antlers, Chicken Necks/Backs and pigs ears...
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

I buy Wellness brand snacks for my Chow Chows. They also get Bully sticks, which they love the most. :D
***** Lobis Cunami *****
nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelliegirl »

I give Nellie, Evo Wild Craving Turkey and Chicken flavor. They are grain-free and baked (they are on the expensive side but she doesn't get reats that often). She literally starts drooling when I open the treat jar and you have never seen a Chow sit so fast. She also likes Nylabone Healthy Edible chews...she gets once in a great while.

Hope that helps!
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

My Sheena will only eat "Happy Hips" dried chicken breast strips w/Glucosamine/Chondroitin or Flax Seed and Vitamins...also dried duck breast strips (can't remember the brand name). She snubs her nose at anything else. She has cultured tastes apparently! :lol:
Jennifer & Sheena
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

ilovemysmoothie! wrote:I give Little Bear carrots sometimes as treats.. hahahah my poor little chow has no idea they are healthy! I tricked her into liking them!! She gets very excited when I get out the costco bag... she sits for them and everything and then goes to the back door because she likes to eat them out side... just like her bones!

I don't know if your girl is as easily tricked into mine, but give it a try. They are cheap and healthy (some argue that there are high sugar levels in them...)
My Chow loves them!

Other healthy treats that we use are: Raw Bison Bones, Elk Antlers, Chicken Necks/Backs and pigs ears...
Hahahaha! Little Bear is training you well. Henry liked to take his tastier more special treats outside (frozen peas are preferable to carrots which he just shreds). NOW Henry EXPECTS a treat when he goes outside lol.
Thank you Sweatpea
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

hahaha you are SO right!!!
LB doesn't go out into the backyard as readily as she used to.... Grrrr that bad little chow!!!!!!!!!! Then I tried to give her a carrot inside and she totally made a big mess of it, almost to make a point to me! :roll:
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

These chows are so cunning and so very clever at training us :shock: :lol:
Thank you Sweatpea
chow315

Post by chow315 »

i buy real ham hocks and cook them for princess. she really loves them keeps her teeth healthy too
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I use 3 different kinds, for training, Solid Gold lamb jerky, they are small and my two will do anything for them. For hard treats, Old Mother Hubbard, P-nuttier and just cause, Merricks sausage treats. All three are wholesome and natural.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

chow315 wrote:i buy real ham hocks and cook them for princess. she really loves them keeps her teeth healthy too
It would actually be healthier for her if you didn't cook them. cooked bones are brittle and that's what makes them dangerous, raw bones are better. Unless you take them away from her before she begins to knaw on the bone.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chow315

Post by chow315 »

these bones are 2 to 3 inches around
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

i buy real ham hocks and cook them for princess. she really loves them keeps her teeth healthy too
You should never, not ever give cooked bones to dogs.
It doesn't matter how large they are. Once cooked they can splinter and kill your dog.
It is ok, absolutely ok to give it to your dog, raw, in it's natural state. That is safe, nutritious and meant to be eaten that way.
You won't see any carnivore out in the wild cooking their meat or their bones, and dogs are no different. They are decsendants of wolves and share the same digestive system.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
torryton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by torryton »

Here are 10 reasons Why It's a Bad Idea to Give Your Dog a Bone:

Broken teeth.

Mouth or tongue injuries.

Bone gets looped around your dog's lower jaw.

Bone gets stuck in esophagu.

Bone gets stuck in windpipe!

Bone gets stuck in stomach.

Bone gets stuck in intestines.

Constipation due to bone fragments.

Severe bleeding from the rectum.

Peritonitis: This nasty, difficult-to-treat bacterial infection of the abdomen is caused when bone fragments poke holes in your dog's stomach or intestines. Your dog needs an emergency visit to your veterinarian because peritonitis can kill your dog.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

We get a big bag of cow hooves as chews and pass them out a few at a time. When they are first put out, Ursa will collect them all and put them between her front feet as she chews on them. Once she has sampled all of them, and gets tired of them, she will leave them and everyone is welcome to have one. Malachi likes to get one, and then have me open the door to the garage where he can enjoy his treat alone. He likes to make a big deal of it by throwing it up in the air and catching it, and then dropping it on the garage floor to make a lot of noise. He likes to show off with it, because he knows the garage door to the breezeway is closed and Ursa can't get in. When the pieces get small enough to swallow, we take them up and throw them away.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Let's see...
Ty LOVES marrow bones (milkbone's marrow mix filled treats, kinda like combos haha)
We now have Nutro's puppy poultry cookies ( I don't recall what they're actually called)
I also have Nutro's apple flavored treats (they smell so good, I want to eat them!)
And he also has Dogster's frozen treats from time to time. He loves them.
Other than that, he loves oranges, apples, and pears. Also peanut butter and cheese at times.
As far as chews, rolled rawhides, busy bones of any variety keeps him busy while I'm at work at times. Rarely we'll pick up a pig ear. I like the smart bones they have at petsmart because it's just compressed meat and veggie (no rawhide) but they're pricey and don't last long. Hopefully this is something that becomes more common.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Anybody ever try Old west treats? Made in USA, natural, etc, and I can't find any bad reviews other than being expensive.