8 week pup

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mexorean_mami21
Rank 0
Rank 0

8 week pup

Post by mexorean_mami21 »

I have a 8 week puppy that i got about 2 weeks ago, he's a creme chow...leo. :) He's my first chowchow and he's so precious and such a good puppy. ONly thing is, he doesn't eat much, only like a little handful 2 times a day. How much does a regular chowchow puppy eat regularly?
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: 8 week pup

Post by Judy Fox »

I think he should be eating a little more than that. An 8 week old puppy should be having about 4 meals a day. Are you feeding him on Puppy Food rather than adult dog food?
If he does not get enough nutrients at this age, he will not grow properly. Can I suggest you take the advice of your vet's surgery - perhaps they have a vet nurse who can talk to you about feeding him.
Good luck. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Your profile doesn't say where you're from. But all puppies in the US have worms, all of them. He should be dewormed. Also if he's just 8 weeks old now and you've had him for 2 weeks he was only 6 weeks old when you got him, so he hasn't had all his shots, or any of them yet, so you can bet he's got worms, this could be causing his appeitite to be less than it should be. Also as Judy says, he needs a good high nutrition puppy food, food for medium size puppies or for large breed puppies is the very best for them. he should eat several times a day, and you might want to add some supplements to his diet for skin, coat, bone growth etc.

And please, please get him his shots, no canine has any immunity to parvo as it is a man made disease, distemper is deadly to puppies too. I know there is a lot of controversy about getting them vacinated, but the first year shots are really necessary, after that you can think about it, but little puppies need the help to avoid these diseases.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
mexorean_mami21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mexorean_mami21 »

Thanks, he's actually eating a lot more now. I think maybe he just had to get used to the food and yes it is puppy food. And i did get him his shots when i first got him because we have another dog and i didn't want him to get him sick or anything.
Attachments
chow.jpg
chow.jpg (36.82 KiB) Viewed 5610 times
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

What a lovely little chap. He has that lovely chow chow smile. :) I am glad that he is eating more now - it is a worry when they do not eat properly.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

What a cute little fellow! I'm glad he's eating better!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Too cute...what a sweetie. Glad he's eating better. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kimigirl »

Hi. This maybe a late reply, but what works for me is the dry puppy food mixed with a spoonful of canned puppy food. My 8 week old just gobbles it up. The can gives the pup food a little flavour. Eventually, you can lessen the canned food and end up with just the dry food.

This is my ROSCOE the day I got him.
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]