Food to feed our new puppy chow chow.

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chowbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Food to feed our new puppy chow chow.

Post by Chowbear »

Hello everyone!

I'm a proud owner of our new chow chow puppy. He's the most cutest thing I've ever laid eyes on.

Lately, he doesn't want to eat his usual doggie meals--purina dry foods and such.

He will give it a few licks and be done with it. The only thing he eats is what I eat. If I'm eatting a hamburger he'll want some and not touch his own meal. On weekends, we always have family and friends around, so he gets spoiled alot with goody treats (ei. hotdogs, hamburgers, meatballs)

What do I do? Even if I tell them not to spoil him, he still will not eat his usual purina meal.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You will probably get a lot of responses tomorrow but I can tell you the first thing the puppy and adult Chow owners are going to tell you is to stop the hotdog, hamburger and meatball diet immediately, you are asking for some big trouble in health and vet bills later on. Who wouldn’t rather eat junk food then good food? Your Chow isn’t supposed to tell you what he wants to eat you have to tell him what to eat and right now you’re basically killing him.

They will also probably tell you to stop the Purina.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Chowbear - please read this earlier post here regarding food: http://www.chowchow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1217
There are other posts regarding food, too. Many have said that switching off Purina relieved the skin allergy problems.
It's very important that you provide a healthy diet for a Chow and not a human (although the hamburgers & hotdogs should be in moderation for a human as well :D ).
I have found that at PetPals, there is almost no difference in cost between buying IAMS (not good!) and buying a higher grade like Solid Gold or the Nutro products. Ultimately, you save in vet bills by providing a healthier diet.

Karen, Shiloh, and Mr. N
pannw1267
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pannw1267 »

Not sure of the official way to direct you, but look under Health Discussions-What's everyone feeding? for more helpful information. I took Miah off of Nutro Canned because of a problem with diarrhea. :postit-eek:
I have since switched to Wellness. Yesterday, I picked up a couple of cans of Merrick to try. Miah really enjoyed the Wild Buffalo Grill. She also gobbled down a free sample of Canidae Dry. I always have Nutro Lamb & Rice dry out for her to nibble on,but now I guess I'll look into the Canidae.
Someone posted previously (sorry I don't remember who) that the better food we feed our chows, the more discriminatory they become. :postit-rolleyes:
Patti & Jim, Max & Miah Image
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Well, as one of the chow puppy owners who switched from Purina products to a better food, my advice would be, first stop the table food. They are just not good for them. Puppies have sensitive digestive systems, and of course hamburgers, hot dogs and meat balls do not have the nutritional value for a dog that dog food has. Mine get a "piece" of a hot dog occassionally for training purposes, but never, ever as a meal because they didn't like their dog food.
As far as Purina goes, it caused terrible allergy problems in my 10 month old male, Koda. The fillers that Purina uses in their pet foods, chows more often than not, are allergic to. I know there is an occassional chow who does just fine on Purina products, but the better they eat, the healthier they will be. I switched Koda over to Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice (they do have the puppy formula) when he started having major problems with the Purina One Lamb and Rice he was eating. Within 2 weeks of being totally on the Nutro, his allergy problems were almost gone and now they are gone. He gets 1 raw egg a week and 2 fish oil capsules a day and is a very healthy boy. My 13 week old puppy Molly, never had the chance to try Purina. She has been on Nutro since the day we brough her home and is a very healthy little girl.
The cost of the Nutro is a bit more than the Purina products, but.... they do eat less of the Nutro because it is a premium dog food, so in all reality, you are saving money by using the Nutro because you don't have to buy it as often. Also, when I started switching Koda over to the Nutro, he ate it alot better tha he ever did the Purina. Molly's breeder sent me home packages of the kibble she was eating so I could wean her over to the Nutro. She never ate her old kibble from the first meal I ever fed her til now. She ate all around her "old stuff" and only ate the Nutro. After 2 days of mixing both and her leaving her old kibble, I quit mixing. That says alot to me.
Nancy and Tai

TXSusiQ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TXSusiQ »

Cabo is still on Purina Puppy Chow but we're fixing to swtich him over to the Nutro and try that out!

My problem now is the cat likes the Nutro too and Cabo likes the cat food!
Mommy to Cabo