What do you feed your chow?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

What do you feed your chow?

Post by Samorrathis »

Today I went by a little specialty pet shop and got some samples of some healthy and organic food. Right now my puppy is eating Royal Canin for puppies.

What do your chow's like to eat or need for any chow related health issues?

Also i was wondering if any of you use natural rawhide type chews or mainly stick with Nylabone?
kingalls

Puppy food

Post by kingalls »

Hi,
Royal Canin is a very good brand. Some of us on this site buy the Nutro products. From previous posts, these better quality products will help reduce skin problems. So paying a little more up front will save us money spent on vets.
As for rawhide...please do a little more reading on that to judge if you should get those. I'm pretty sure you can find some information on the web.

Karen
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

As Karen said alot of us use Nutro but I think what you are buying is equivalent and might even be better food. From what I have read and what we went through with Pekoe's skin problems just stay away from the foods with Corn and wheat fillers, Imas and the other garbage they sell at the supermarkets. The better foods usually don't add fillers to the food, most are all natural.

I use to give Pekoe rawhide chews that she loved but I stopped for some reason, I can't remember but I'm sure I read somewhere they were bad for the digestive systems,stay away from the pig ears. I have read those are bad
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

Thanks for all the input! I think for now we are going to stick with Royal Canin for now. He is finally eating all his food on a regular schedule. He was used to having open access to his food, but I would like to know when he need to use the bathroom so he can come in the house.

As far as treats he love Flosies they are beef sinue that looks like a giant curley frie. I only let him chew on them in the house while he is supervised. I'm going to try to do more reseach on it though. Think i'm going to try Greenies to see what he thinks of those next :)