Taste of the Wild dog food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Taste of the Wild dog food

Post by bellabear27 »

Hi everyone!

I think we have finally settled on a dog food for Bella and Bruin.. it is called Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream Canine Formule with Smoked Salmon. It is a grain-free formula, which I hear is good. They have been on it now for a few months and Bella's coat has gotten a lot softer and shinier. Also, she is much less gassy.. :oops: :roll: Has anyone heard anything about this food, or if it is actually good?? Do any of your chows eat it?? I finally feel good about their kibble, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't under false pretenses.. the dog food world is so confusing.

Just for your information, the ingredients are:

Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Protein: 25% Fat: 15%

Any insight would be great!! :)

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Taste of the Wild dog food

Post by Sirchow »

It looks good to me. I know many people think chows should have 30% protein but in my experience which is limited to one chow, that level always gives Bramble gas which is something to be avoided for chows with their tendency to bloat. You could try adding in a little fresh fish in the coat growing season just for a little extra protein. It does use a lot of protein to grow that huge plush coat. It sounds like it suits them and that is the only thing that matters. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Lisa_D
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lisa_D »

I have been feeding this to Bear for a good while now....probably almost a year and he has been doing great on it. I noticed his coat is softer & coming in fuller this winter than what it had been. I have had alot of luck with TOTW with both of my boys and both are doing so much better.
Yes! I cook up some white fish and add to to Bear's food a few times a week and he goes bonkers over it!!!

Awesome banner compliments of Sweetpea, Thank you!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I have had my Butters on this for about a year as well. He is doing great so far. No more Gas, A lot less Messy bottoms, and way fewer throw ups. He is digestively challenged to begin with. His coat looks great, he seems to love the food and his digestion is 99% better than when he was on other food. They have other formula's with more protein but this one works for us.
SweetPea Rocks!!
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

hey ya all....would like to ask, I noticed that the brands recommended never say:

Chicken MEAL, Salmon MEAL....

its this mean that the "MEAL" thing is a bad thing for dog food???
I noticed in the hollistic formula of Eagle Pack, there is his "MEAL" thing and plus "white rice"
whereas the recommended brands here always use potato/sweet potato/brown rice........how about oatmeal??? is it bad???

does white rice hurt our beloved Chows so much??? as I feed my chow white rice and boiled meat sometime, just for a change of dry kibbles
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I like taste of the Wild a lot. It's a great food, at a great price imo! My only issue is that the company that makes it has had to recall other foods it makes. Just keep an eye on it really....
Thank you Elodie!
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

Layla wrote:I like taste of the Wild a lot. It's a great food, at a great price imo! My only issue is that the company that makes it has had to recall other foods it makes. Just keep an eye on it really....

wow really??? and the website and ingredient lists look convincing.....
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

h0n33y wrote:hey ya all....would like to ask, I noticed that the brands recommended never say:

Chicken MEAL, Salmon MEAL....

its this mean that the "MEAL" thing is a bad thing for dog food???
I noticed in the hollistic formula of Eagle Pack, there is his "MEAL" thing and plus "white rice"
whereas the recommended brands here always use potato/sweet potato/brown rice........how about oatmeal??? is it bad???

does white rice hurt our beloved Chows so much??? as I feed my chow white rice and boiled meat sometime, just for a change of dry kibbles
"Meal" can be a mix of all kinds of things - like Chicken meal can contain ground up feathers, bone fragments, rancid meat... :shock:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

You beat me too it - Meal is not a good thing.
Also, hi protein is not natural for chows for two reasons. One, they are not highly active dogs and do not need really hi protein. Also, in their history, they have never been feed hi protein. In nordic regions and then later in China, they were never fed a lot of meat.
They were also never fed a lot of corn or wheat - so many have allergies to that. Rice and barley are grains they can usually tolerate better. Exotic meats are also something that they haven't been fed much, in history.
Mia
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I hate to disagree but 'meal' means that a lot of the water / fliuds have been removed from the meat. It does NOT include feathers or skin, but can include bone, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_meal

Maybe you were thinking of Poultry by-product meal Karen? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poultry_by-product_meal
Thank you Elodie!
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

Layla wrote:I like taste of the Wild a lot. It's a great food, at a great price imo! My only issue is that the company that makes it has had to recall other foods it makes. Just keep an eye on it really....
I did research this when we first bought the food, and I will definitely keep an eye on it, but thanks for the heads up!

I have another question.. this particular brand also comes in 2 other formulas - 1) Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison and 2)Roasted Fowl, as well as the formula I am using, Pacific Stream with Smoked Salmon. Is one source of protein better than another? Any opinions on what is best?

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Layla wrote:I hate to disagree but 'meal' means that a lot of the water / fliuds have been removed from the meat. It does NOT include feathers or skin, but can include bone, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_meal

Maybe you were thinking of Poultry by-product meal Karen? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poultry_by-product_meal
Yes, it's the by=product meal that is not recommended. I found a site that had some useful information:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=main

I feed my cats Taste of the Wild but my Chowdren are currently on Solid Gold Hunden Flocken (sp?) for kibble...they still get the raw green tripe mixed with grain free Happy Dog food.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

I just noticed that there is chicken MEAL.....on some of the recommended brands, only mentioned once though for example:

The chicken formula Ingredients:
Chicken
Chicken meal
etc......

I suppose stick with one MEAL word is OK.....
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

meal is, as mentioned above, just whatever protein source is in the food with the water removed. Thus, it is actually a good thing when, as an example, chicken meal is listed first since labels list ingredients by weight. So there is more chicken in a food with chicken meal listed than there is in one that just says chicken.Since water makes it heavier, when the water is removed during processing it actually bumps it further down the list.

by products are a different manner.
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

Grab wrote:meal is, as mentioned above, just whatever protein source is in the food with the water removed. Thus, it is actually a good thing when, as an example, chicken meal is listed first since labels list ingredients by weight. So there is more chicken in a food with chicken meal listed than there is in one that just says chicken.Since water makes it heavier, when the water is removed during processing it actually bumps it further down the list.

by products are a different manner.

wew...so chicken meal is better than chicken then???
I found it a lil bit strange,as the one with more meal on the ingredients is usually cheaper, while one without "meal" word is more expensive generally speaking.

anyhow, any updates regarding this brand?? Taste of The Wild?? is it still good food? and which do u think it is more suitable for our chows??? I'd like to try the wetlands formula, (25 protein 15fat) is it too much???
Zilla
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zilla »

I have been feeding my 2 chow chows solid gold since we got them last Dec. They are doing well on it. Their coats are beautiful and the don't scratch like they did with some other brands. But they seem to smell even after getting groomed they are still stinky. I realized that they smell like Doritos (chips). Which got me thinking that their food must be too grainy and starchy. After reading what other brands people are raving about on this site I narrowed my choices down between EVO and Taste of the Wild. The lady at the feed store said that they are both about the same they both comtain lots of protien and fat and no grains at all. EVO was about $12 a bag more so I made my decision to switch to Taste of the Wild. This is my first day mixing a little bit of it in with their solid gold food...both of my doggies seem to like it. I'll keep you all posted on how they do after then completion of the switch over. If I don't like it I'll be trying EVO next :)
Zilla
Zilla
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zilla »

Update-its been a week of slowly changing from Solid Gold to Taste of the Wild....and its been a success...1/4TOW and 3/4SG Today we start 1/2 and 1/2 :)
The dogs love A Taste of the Wild so much more....Kiki diggs out all of the old kibble and drops it on the floor and has been trying to search for the TOF food. I'm glad she likes it so much :) I think this is going to be a good change for all of us :) Thank you all for helping me find a better food for my chow chows :)

~zilla
Zilla
rtaylor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rtaylor »

Cutting down on the amount of meat we feed our four-legged friends can have health and environmental benefits.
However, it's important to do your homework before altering your pet's diet.
This is according to experts Dan Welsh and Katy Brown, who noted that it can be difficult for vegetarian pet owners to support the "meat industry they abhor every time they stock up on pet food."
Writing for the Guardian's Green Living Blog, they noted that there are a range of meat-free dog varieties available.
Stay In Touch - Barley Dog