I need some food help please

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

I need some food help please

Post by onthemove »

Poor Deuce has been diagnosed with allergies and yeast infections in both ears. He has chewed all the hair off the inside of his legs and around his paws.

I went to get him a better food at petsmart, but got overwhelmed at the choices. I spent a lot of time reading labels and thought I found a good one. I bought the Buffalo Blue lamb and rice. It looked like the best food I could find, and I thought I had gotten something gluten free, but alas, it has barley in it.

I did not see some of the other foods recommended here, like solid gold.

I need his food to be gluten free for me, but I need something healthy and good for allergies for him.

His vet put him on fish oil, and I have been adding a little salmon to his food. I am also giving him a little yogurt every day. Any other suggestions are welcome. He is miserable.
kingalls

Re: I need some food help please

Post by kingalls »

Nahkohe had the ear infections and hotspots...it wasn't until I got him on Solid Gold before we got it under control. PetSmart does not carry any of the brands that I would want to purchase. Does Deuce go through a lot of food? I had been buying the Wellness kibble from PetPals and recently switched to SG again just to give them a change. IMO, both products are good. The PetPals store is in another town but since my two don't go through the kibble quickly (a large bag will last at least 2 months), it's not a problem to go there every couple of months. I do feed them raw green tripe in addition to the kibble.
Can you do a search on the SG website for a store locator? It will be well worth the occasional trip to another town to pick up 1 or 2 bags of quality kibble. I don't know much about the Buffalo Blue Lamb.
Try doing a search in the Nutrition forum regarding what we feed our Chows.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Poor Deuce!
I wanted to say that if he has a food allergy and if his new food will not make him allergic, he will still be scratching for a few more weeks, because the allergens in his body need at least 2 or 3 weeks to leave his body, so be patient.
Can I ask if you know what Deuce is allergic to? or if you want to change food because you suspect his present food is not good enough for him (especially because he has a sensitive skin)?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by onthemove »

Thank you for the replies.

I didn't realized that petsmart did not carry the good food brands. I see from the solid gold site that Petco does carry it in our area. Thanks for that suggestion, although I see that it also has barley. Oh, well, atleast barley is not the worst gluten for me.

Coco chow, we do not know what he is allergic to. He has been itchy since we got him. His ears have always had an odor too. I asked my vet about it on his first and second visits. He said everything was fine and started him on flea medicines. I took him back again for itching and he gave him comfortis. The last visit, I told him Deuce was still just as itchy, but I never see any fleas or evidence of fleas. He just said to give him benadryl. Then I noticed his hair was gone in spots on the insides of his legs and down around his feet where he chews all the time. I took him to a different Vet on Tuesday. She said "Ooph" as she looked in his ears, and I said "They stink don't they", she said "yes, they do. I think he has yeast in there".

She took a sample from the ears, scraped the skin on his legs and checked under a microscope. She confirmed yeast in the ears, but said she did not find mites or anything on the skin. She used a flourescent light on him, but still could not see mites. She treated him for mites anyway, just in case, but said she felt like he probably had allergies.

He was on Purina One at the breeders, and I have continued it, though I changed him to the lamb and rice to avoid the gluten. So I wanted to get him on a better food anyway, but now I want something really good for his skin. The vet said it was a really bad sign for him to be having allergies so young. She mentioned that we might need to change his food down the road if bathing him 2 x week, fish oil supplements, benadryl, and treating the yeast did not make him better. I know food can make a huge difference, so I figured I might as well go ahead and make the change.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

When Nahkohe's ear infection was at it's worst, the vet flushed out his ears. It required him being sedated. After flushing out the ears, he had to ointment put in them for about a week. When the infection would happen again, we would get the ointment again. I think there was a thread in the nutrition section that compared the ingredients for some of the brands of food. So much of the time, it's the food that is causing the skin allergies.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Once you have a good diet sorted out that is yeast free then the yeast infections can be helped with probiotics. Often most of the body's good bacteria have been killed by bad diet, toxins and antibiotics. Probiotics are very necessary for yeast infection treatment and the restoration of immune and digestive system health. It is the destruction of good bacteria within the digestive tract that allowed the yeast to mutate and spread through out the body in the first place. So replacing these bacteria is very necessary for the healing, long-term prevention of a relapse, and for immune system health. They are particularly important if your chow is prescribed antibiotics and I give Bramble one every day. So far we have not had hot spots but I may live to regret saying that. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by onthemove »

I appreciate the replies.

Deuce has not been on any antibiotics. He is on epi-oto and otomax drops for his ears (these go in the ears). He has never been on anything else until this week. He is now on the ear drops and benadryl for itching.

He acts like he has lost all trust in me. He refuses to put on his harness, and no longer comes when he is called. It breaks my heart that he has lost trust in me. He hates that he is being messed with constantly I guess.

He had a tough time at the vet, and even wet himself while they were checking him over. It seems to have triggered a lasting anxiety. I am not sure what to do for him now.
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

Wellness has a new Allergy line and also Wellness Core which I believe is gluten free and a very good food. The fur-kids used to get Wellness Core until we discovered Rocco's Chicken allergy. Their website is also very helpful.
onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by onthemove »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Deuce went back to the vet today for follow up. His vet put him on a prescription diet. She said she hates to do it for the little ones, but felt he would be better off with it.

His ears are better, but will have to continue treatment for another week, and then regular cleaning forever.

He has had diarrhea from the fish oil, but I was warned that he would. He seems to be feeling better today. His mood was more normal and he actually did not fight as hard when I put the leash on him, so things seem to be looking up.

I think I definitely want to try some probiotics for him. I would love some suggestions on brands.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I cannot help with the probiotic brands you can find, but I'm happy his ears are better :D .
What prescription diet is he on?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by onthemove »

Thanks Coco Chow. He is on Hill's D/D venison and potato dry food.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

onthemove wrote:Poor Deuce has been diagnosed with allergies and yeast infections in both ears. He has chewed all the hair off the inside of his legs and around his paws.

I went to get him a better food at petsmart, but got overwhelmed at the choices. I spent a lot of time reading labels and thought I found a good one. I bought the Buffalo Blue lamb and rice. It looked like the best food I could find, and I thought I had gotten something gluten free, but alas, it has barley in it.

I did not see some of the other foods recommended here, like solid gold.

I need his food to be gluten free for me, but I need something healthy and good for allergies for him.

His vet put him on fish oil, and I have been adding a little salmon to his food. I am also giving him a little yogurt every day. Any other suggestions are welcome. He is miserable.
Yep, bad move on the Blue Buffalo, I tried that once, and that was enough. Designer foods are just as bad as the cheapest food you could possibly find. I use ProPlan Selects Turkey and Barley, but it sounds like he has an allergy to Barley as well? That's kinda strange. Sounds like you need Lamb and Rice, whatever you choose. Or maybe a fish and potato blend.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

onthemove wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. Deuce went back to the vet today for follow up. His vet put him on a prescription diet. She said she hates to do it for the little ones, but felt he would be better off with it.

His ears are better, but will have to continue treatment for another week, and then regular cleaning forever.

He has had diarrhea from the fish oil, but I was warned that he would. He seems to be feeling better today. His mood was more normal and he actually did not fight as hard when I put the leash on him, so things seem to be looking up.

I think I definitely want to try some probiotics for him. I would love some suggestions on brands.
You could try Grizzly Salmon Oil, I have never seen it cause diarrhea in any of my Chows. I would stay away from all the supplimenting, other than the salmon oil, too many additions to the food throws the nutritional balance off.
Sam

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

onthemove wrote: He is on Hill's D/D venison and potato dry food.
Coco is on Z/D ultra, the only food we've tried that stopped her constant scratching (and believe me, we've tried many many!).
I hope the D/D will be good for Deuce [:D] .

Ask your vet about the Z/D if you don't see Deuce improving, the Z/D being "stronger" against allergies (the proteins are totally broken down).

When there is a "window" of time when Deuce is not on anti-allergic pills, I would ask the vet to do a blood test to see if he's not allergic to anything else than food too. We did it for Coco, apart from food, she's also allergic to acarids and flea bite. We now give her shots every months to desensitise her and it works! After we put her on Z/D, she stopped scratching and biting her butt and tail, and after a few months of shots, she now doesn't even lick her paws. It is really worth it for Coco, she now has the life of a totally normal chow...
Elodie
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

I hope that Deuce is getting better.....

same happened to my "barbie doll"
she used to take EUKANUBA (which is bad) and I switch her to Eagle Pack, as it is the only decent D/F I could find in my town, or even in my country....no one supple for SG or whatsoever.

As some of you might have remember, my "barbie doll" was diagnosed to have DEMODEX and we have been dealing with it, been better...thanks for all the previous inputs

now, I think she has bacteria problem, she scratch and bites her tail and paws, and it makes the wound damp (yellow greenish at first) and become dark brown when it dried (like a dried wound)

I used to put her on Lamb & Rice EAGLE PACK holistic, and found her quite few skin problem, but still bite here n there sometime.....
then I tried the most expensive of E/P holistic, that is the fish one. She LOVES it, but now the biting and scratching gets worse....she doesn't like the lamb formula that much though, and the duck formula....I have tried all the holistic line of E/P but, the closest thing to fix her skin problem is the lamb, but she DOESN'T like it very much....

still confuse what to do....GO FISH?? or LAMB (but need more effort for her to eat that stuff)....hhuufff
home meal is out of consideration as the one who cooks is my mom, who tends to give my barbie doll HUMAN FOOD, or rice and grilled meat (BOILED)....Rice and grilled meat seems ok,she likes it,but how about the other nutritional needs???

considering to go E/P lamb again.....what do you guys think???

and thanks again

hope it goes well with Deuce also....
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Have you ever considered that Barby might be allergic to something else than food too? There are many things a dog can be allergic to, not only food, but plants, herbs, acarids, etc....
You could find out with a simple blood test, and then she could be desensitized (like Coco is).
Elodie
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

Coco Chow wrote:Have you ever considered that Barby might be allergic to something else than food too? There are many things a dog can be allergic to, not only food, but plants, herbs, acarids, etc....
You could find out with a simple blood test, and then she could be desensitized (like Coco is).
WELL....YOU WILL BE AMAZED ON HOW STUPID THE VET / ANIMAL CLINIC HERE IN MY TOWN

I'M AFRAID BLOOD TEST WILL DO NO GOOD....WILL LOOK FOR IT THOUGH

JUST SOMETHING TO SHARE. MY FRIEND'S DOG WAS PREGNANT, GOT SCANNED (X-RAY PHOTO OR SOMETHING-AFTER 1MONTH),IT SAID EMPTY, (BUT IT WASN'T) THE CLINIC ALSO CHECKED THE PULSE....BUT SAID NO PUPS.....

ONE MONTH LATER THE PUPPY CAME OUT AND WAS DEAD AS MY FRIEND AND HER FAMILY THOUGHT THERE IS NO PUPPIES, THEY WERE UNPREPARED....WITH THIS FACT I DON'T TRUST ANYONE, SO STUPID THEY ARE........I WON'T SPEND ANY PENNIES FOR THOSE STUPID PEOPLE
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I understand your vets may not be the best kind, but a blood test is easy to perform, and after that, the vet does not analyse the sample himself, it has to be analysed in a special laboratory and the laboratory sends the results. I hope your vet is at least able to do that :wink: !
Good luck with Barbie.
Elodie
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

h0n33y wrote:
Coco Chow wrote:Have you ever considered that Barby might be allergic to something else than food too? There are many things a dog can be allergic to, not only food, but plants, herbs, acarids, etc....
WELL....YOU WILL BE AMAZED ON HOW STUPID THE VET / ANIMAL CLINIC HERE IN MY TOWN

JUST SOMETHING TO SHARE. MY FRIEND'S DOG WAS PREGNANT, GOT SCANNED (X-RAY PHOTO OR SOMETHING-AFTER 1MONTH),IT SAID EMPTY, (BUT IT WASN'T) THE CLINIC ALSO CHECKED THE PULSE....BUT SAID NO PUPS.....

ONE MONTH LATER THE PUPPY CAME OUT AND WAS DEAD AS MY FRIEND AND HER FAMILY THOUGHT THERE IS NO PUPPIES, THEY WERE UNPREPARED....WITH THIS FACT I DON'T TRUST ANYONE, SO STUPID THEY ARE........I WON'T SPEND ANY PENNIES FOR THOSE STUPID PEOPLE
Depending upon exactly when they did the x-ray, a pup may not show up. Also, if the pup was born dead, it likely had not fully developed and the skeleton may not have shown up at an early stage. You also will not hear a heart beat on a dead puppy. Don't be too quick to judge the vet. Ultrasound is the best way to check for puppies, but not all vets have an ultrasound machine.
Sam

h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

Red Dragon wrote:
h0n33y wrote:

Depending upon exactly when they did the x-ray, a pup may not show up. Also, if the pup was born dead, it likely had not fully developed and the skeleton may not have shown up at an early stage. You also will not hear a heart beat on a dead puppy. Don't be too quick to judge the vet. Ultrasound is the best way to check for puppies, but not all vets have an ultrasound machine.

thnx for the input Red....
ULTRASOUD huh.....I don't think there is any vet / facilities for animal that provide such thing in my town. Well based on my friend's story, the photo was taken 1months and 5 days after the "THING", at least if there is a puppy in there, it should show the backbone of the puppy at least right??? ITS 1 MONTHS and 5 DAYS already....understand that it takes 2 months from the "ACTUAL DATE" for a dog to give birth, so in human world it will be the same by taking photo at a 4.5 months pregnant woman...if there is a baby,then at least there is something in the photo I suppose....

@COCO CHOW:
THNX, that is exactly what I'm worried about. The facilities / clinic / hospital people is ssssoooo......LAZY (that might be the exact word to describe it, lazy and imbecile), they underestimate the importance of blood test for dog I'm sure, the result will be (NO ALLERGIES - I'm sure 80%on this) then they will suggest as if they know I don't handle my dog good (they are wrong !!! I give my dog the best thing available I can afford by my time and money)

They will say something like this
"Give your dog only dog food, not human food. We have premium Dog Food also if you'd like....its called EUKANUBA"

---and I will say while rolling my eyes
"EUKANUBA premium DF MY A**, stupid people...read the news already,MORON !!!!! I won't feed my dog ROYAL CANIN, let alone EUKANUBA, PREMIUM...." (laughing with sarkasm)

Fyi: Royal Canin is the most expensive DF in my town.

that will give you a picture of my town, its the 2nd largest city in Indonesia, yet the people is so darn STUPID when it comes to pets / home animals. They don't do research and read latest news (they don't even try looking for any - I'm sure of it) you will be amazed on how EUKANUBA SELLS in community forums....it sells like peanuts, everyone looking for eukanuba (stupid people!!!!!!) ,or Royal Canin for them who has extra in their pocket....
onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by onthemove »

Thanks to everyone for all the comments and help.

Deuce seems to be responding to the new diet, even though he still is on the change over. He is rarely scratching now, and he has not had Benadryl for 2 days. He also has not had his 2 x week bath this week, because I have been out of town.

His ears are much better and he no longer has that musty smell and stinky ears. The diarrhea has stopped, thank goodness.

He is back to his old self personality wise. He lets me put the harness on him, and doesn't seem to mind the ear treatments now. I am very encouraged by his progress. I hope it continues.

Coco Chow, I plan to have Deuce blood tested for allergies at his next check up. Do most vets do this, or does it require a specialist?

Barby chow is adorable! I hope you get her food issues figured out. Sorry, but I am obviously not one who can help.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

onthemove wrote: I plan to have Deuce blood tested for allergies at his next check up. Do most vets do this, or does it require a specialist?
Where I live, any vet can do it, as it is just taking a blood sample and sending it to a lab then wait for the results, after all!
A specialist vet did it for us actually because we were seeing him at the time because we were desperate with Coco's allergies and we figured a specialist would help more, but my regular vet could have done that.
Then the vet specialist ordered the shots I give Coco once a month and I guess any vet could order the product too because the vet did not prepare the product, a lab did it for him too from the blood test results Coco had, if that makes sense.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Elodie
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

onthemove wrote: Barby chow is adorable! I hope you get her food issues figured out. Sorry, but I am obviously not one who can help.

Thanks....I'm glad to hear that Deuce is getting better
Let us know the progress.

I'll also ask around if the pet hospital in my town can do such blood test for the allergies :)
SoonLee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SoonLee »

I cook for my dogs. Meat (beef), veggies (always some bok choy) and rice. I also give vitamins. Are you sure your dog has allergies and not skin conditions. My first chow was diagnosed with allergies and we were feeding him lamb. Then we found out that it was just envirnmental allergies (seasonal). My vet said that real food allergies are actually quite rare..usually skin conditions or seasonal allergies.
brndette21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by brndette21 »

The best way to know which food is best for your dog, you must ask his doctor. There are indeed a lot of products available, and all seemed to give the same benefits however not all will suit the need of your dog. Those with infections really need to have a specialized meal that will not aggravate his condition.