I need some food help please

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: I need some food help please

Post by Merlin »

If your dog has food allergies, naturally a higher quality food will help you, but that doesn't mean that it can't contain food items that your dog could still be allergic to, such as flaxseed or beetpulp or chicken believe it or not.

Most vets will encourage you to do an elimination diet where by you'd start with a bland diet or rice and fish, or wild meats such as bison or venison, for twelve weeks. Not one or two, but twelve.

You might also consider a raw regime, but again, you need to isolate the allergic components in your dog's food. There are complexities as well. Very often, these issues start shortly after being innoculated, so there is an additional caveat happening which m eans you'd have to address the immune system as much as possible to help boost it back into shape.

If you've been feeding a low quality food, then there is a good chance that just by changing to a better food, you'll solve most of your problems.
If your dog does have yeast however, never give this dog items containing sugar, or items containing glutens or farines. You'll only add to the problems.

Best of luck with that.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
kong1954
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kong1954 »

be careful from people who claim that their vet. is stupid..Where is red dragon's vet. degree?
markrielly84
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by markrielly84 »

Have you tried Nature’s Select High Protein Pet Food? I was thinking of trying it for my chow chow. I think it will build more muscle than fat since its high in protein.