Best Dog Foods ?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

daisy_chows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Best Dog Foods ?

Post by daisy_chows »

Hi,

I'm looking for a suitable dry dog food for Daisy (2yrs old) . She is allergic to chicken, and not suitable for high protein foods which will caused her urine crystallise .
I have tried Choice, Blackwood, Hill’s, Acana Pacific but not suitable .. her flaky skin make me worried … Visited vet but only gave antibiotic and medical shampoo ..
I also feed her fish oil 1000mg , 2tabs per day .
Anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance .
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Best Dog Foods ?

Post by TJordan »

Hi, I will tell you what I am currently feeding. It is grain free- but not high protein. It is 22% like most foods. It is fish based so it may help with the flaking. It is called Taste of the Wild. They have other formula's but they are higher in protein, the salmon one is 22%.
SweetPea Rocks!!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

The top foods imo are

Orijen

EVO

and Wellness Core.

I fed innova to yogi and wanted to switch it up a little got Taste of the wild, but read somewhere that they use a bad perservative in their food and wont admit it so I dumped them after one bag for Wellness Large Breed Puppy. Yogi loves it. Im going to put him on the Wellness Core when hes 1 year and rotate that with some EVO.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I am switching to Evo.
I used to feed them Solid Gold HundenFlocken and Natural Balance, but I think Evo is excellent.
I have also found Halo - which I really think I might like.
Mia
GoHokiesGo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GoHokiesGo »

After reading around on this site and other dog forums, we read a lot of great things about Solid Gold products. It's all-natural and holistic, and it has great reviews from everyone.

We've been feeding our Chow the Hundenflocken food by Solid Gold for about 2 months now, and she seems to like it a lot. Her coat looks great and she's been doing well with it. I may rotate her between the hundenflocken and Wolf King after this bag runs out, but it's been good so far.
~Jason and Grace

and Honey, our Chow Chow
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

Stay away from Orijen ! I feed Californai Natural Lamb and Rice dry kibbles. Had my chows on Orijen for 8 months and there hair was falling out it was bad !
thanks sweetpea
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

daisy_chows wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for a suitable dry dog food for Daisy (2yrs old) . She is allergic to chicken, and not suitable for high protein foods which will caused her urine crystallise .
I have tried Choice, Blackwood, Hill’s, Acana Pacific but not suitable .. her flaky skin make me worried … Visited vet but only gave antibiotic and medical shampoo ..
I also feed her fish oil 1000mg , 2tabs per day .
Anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance .
I have fed Blackwood and it's good food, the Lamb and Rice will probably work well for you.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

leisa75 wrote:Stay away from Orijen ! I feed Californai Natural Lamb and Rice dry kibbles. Had my chows on Orijen for 8 months and there hair was falling out it was bad !
What happened, you liked it so much when you first started using it? :lol: Been on ProPlan Selects for about three years now and no bald Chows. :lol:
Sam

h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

RED, u used so many DF at once??? .....

u said ProPLan, then California Natural, and at other Blackwood......
do u feed em to different chows at once???

which would u prefer best from all the brands u mentioned??
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

h0n33y wrote:RED, u used so many DF at once??? .....

u said ProPLan, then California Natural, and at other Blackwood......
do u feed em to different chows at once???

which would u prefer best from all the brands u mentioned??
I have never fed California Natural, and won't. I have fed ProPlan and Blackwood. Blackwood worked fine for me, but I think the ProPlan Selects have worked the best. I have been feeding that for at least three years. I have 7 Chows now, I have had as many as 12 at my place.
Sam

h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

aaahhh sorry Red, I was mistaken u for leisa since ur avatar is the same hehehhehehe
daisy_chows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by daisy_chows »

thanks all for the sharing .. appreciate it ..
after switch to ACANA lamb and apple , Daisy's skin condition have improved and don't have any flakky skin problems anymore.. =D=
as for her cystalised problem, it have been cleared too .. \:D/
maybe ACANA lamb and apple is low in protein tt's why it help in controlling her urine PH ..
Many Thanks n All the best to u all !!!
stuffies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stuffies »

my chow is a really picky eater. he's just about 8 months old. i used to feed him beef pro puppy but i think my chow didn't like its taste that much. i also tried to give my chow vitality. as for benefits, it was good. my chow didnt seem constipated anymore but then he really didnt like the taste (even preferred beef pro). im planning to switch to acana lamp and apple. im just wondering if this is good for a really picky eater chow...
stuffies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stuffies »

thanks. my dog likes acana lamb and appple very much even when he first tried it. :)
VIOLET315
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VIOLET315 »

just a question my dog is about 14 yrs old and is in excellent health. she doesn't have problems with her coat her joints digestion or anything else. mostly she eats purina dog food table scraps and some of the cats food. she is a purebred and runs and plays like a pup. she was spayed before 6 months old. am i just blessed to have an extra healthy dog? by the way i do pray for her daily
david78
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by david78 »

Hi, I m David from Paris. In France is very difficult to have a good pet food. In my opinion, the best of chioce is ACANA. My Chow-chow Victor likes this food. It haven(t got a probleme ACANA
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Misha Collins wrote:Hi friend,
Ask your vet for suggestions regarding which type of food is most beneficial. Your vet will be able to give you a suggestion on certain types of dog food. In addition, they will know what the benefits of each are. In some cases a vet may have food available for purchase at their office. Buying this food is recommended by many vets because they know and trust the brand. Furthermore, they are aware of the type of dog that you have and know that they will benefit from eating a good, healthy food that is formulated for them.

Thanks
Misha Collins
Most if not all vets have no formal training in canine nutrition.
This is a fact pointed out by the UCVM last year after the entire controversy with the tainted gluten from China.
It is only THIS year that veterinary students must take additional courses on canine nutrition.

Having said that, all a vet can offer you is specialty foods in his office that are delivered by a salesmen who gives him the low down of what each food does, but that doesn't mean it is a good food - it simply means that , "said food", won't further add complications to your malady, but that doesn't mean you could be trading off one problem for another..

The better solution is to learn how struvite crystals form ( high protein for corn protein and not meat protein), therefore you need to avoid low quality foods and foods low in purines, not protien but purines.

There is an excellent site called http://www.dogaware.com that outlines many issues with kidney/bladder dog issues.
They offer valuable solutions through quality nutrition. Please check it out.
Also there are loads of e groups on Yahoo that specialize in kidney dogs, bladder dogs and urine issues please subscribe to them because the issue of crystals is a little more complicated than just changing food. You need to understand pH, you need to respect the Calcium/ Phosphorous ratios that are required to keep your dog healthy. You need to avoid giving your dog cookies and treats that contain sugars, salts and grains too. There's no point feeding new food if your dog is still getting pasta, pieces of toast, flour laden cookies, and all kinds of other foods he shouldn't be eating.

Once you do this, you'll find you won't have any more issues with crystals ( generally)
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Richy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Richy »

I give my little puppy meal and milk.Is it good for him?He is 1 year old. Kindly tell me when i should start to give him other dog food.Reply soon.
Payton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Payton »

Well Guys I like to give Honey and Meat to My Dog who is 1 and half years old . I also give him Orijen which I think is his favorite food .
JesslynnBriella
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JesslynnBriella »

Merlin wrote:
Misha Collins wrote:Hi friend,
Ask your vet for suggestions regarding which type of food is most beneficial. Your vet will be able to give you a suggestion on certain types of dog food. In addition, they will know what the benefits of each are. In some cases a vet may have food available for purchase at their office. Buying this food is recommended by many vets because they know and trust the brand. Furthermore, they are aware of the type of dog that you have and know that they will benefit from eating a good, healthy food that is formulated for them.

Thanks
Misha Collins
Most if not all vets have no formal training in canine nutrition.
This is a fact pointed out by the UCVM last year after the entire controversy with the tainted gluten from China.
It is only THIS year that veterinary students must take additional courses on canine nutrition.

Having said that, all a vet can offer you is specialty foods in his office that are delivered by a salesmen who gives him the low down of what each food does, but that doesn't mean it is a good food - it simply means that , "said food", won't further add complications to your malady, but that doesn't mean you could be trading off one problem for another..

The better solution is to learn how struvite crystals form ( high protein for corn protein and not meat protein), therefore you need to avoid low quality foods and foods low in purines, not protien but purines.

There is an excellent site called http://www.dogaware.com that outlines many issues with kidney/bladder dog issues.
They offer valuable solutions through quality nutrition. Please check it out.
Also there are loads of e groups on Yahoo that specialize in kidney dogs, bladder dogs and urine issues please subscribe to them because the issue of crystals is a little more complicated than just changing food. You need to understand pH, you need to respect the Calcium/ Phosphorous ratios that are required to keep your dog healthy. You need to avoid giving your dog cookies and treats that contain sugars, salts and grains too. There's no point feeding new food if your dog is still getting pasta, pieces of toast, flour laden cookies, and all kinds of other foods he shouldn't be eating.

Once you do this, you'll find you won't have any more issues with crystals ( generally)
=-

There are many vets out there that are more then qualified in canine nutrition. That is more of an opinion by the ucvm then a fact.You obviously just have not found any in your area which is unfortunate. Vets do not have to limit their nutritional advice to the food on their clinic shelves.not sure where you got that idea. Ive worked in different clinics where the staff-techs and vets- fed and recommended foods not on the shelf. working with vets from AVC i know they always make recommendations on the individual dog. No one should ever just throw out "raw meat is best, evo is best, medi-cal is best" theres no best for everbody. Im not sure how much Veterinary health training you have. But not just "low quality" food causes struvites. there are many crystals that can come with any food,among other conditions.I find it interesting that you have the confidence to tell someone they wont have a problem with crystals just by feeding a proper diet.(e.g. struvites in dogs is primarily not related to diet more so secondary to infection)...if thats not how you meant it then I think you may have just misrepresented it. Point being there are alot of good vets out there(and really bad ones too). you just need to get out there and find the good ones, and when you do keep them :)

Please dont listen to others opinions when it comes to choosing the internet vs. doctor... go to your dr and then do research. ...theres too many opinions on google and you will just get yourself in trouble. Most people that have problems with vets are just upset because they didnt hear what they wanted too. My advice is you know your dog best. you dont need us on here telling you that O:)
dkas2929
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dkas2929 »

Daisy,
Have you looked at Muenster natural dog food? It's what I feed my two dogs and its very good for them and they
love it. I believe they have a website if you want to learn more. Good luck :)
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Hello,
I am currently feeding my chow pup (~6months) innova puppy large breed. He doesn't seem to like it since recommend amount for his size/month is 3.5cups a day. I would need to spoon feed him so he will finish it. So its almost done with Innova and heard really good stuff of Taste of Wild. I found a couple place near me that sells it and I will give it a shot but any other recommendations b/c I dont want to make him a picky eater. Breeder gave him Purina then I swapped him to Innova but again tough time eating them.

Thanks!
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Don't pay too much attention to the recommended amount on the dog food packaging. There is a huge difference between different breeds and their feeding requirements. Chows tend to be lighter eaters than a lot of breeds, especially in the summer when it is hot out. Now that Cocoa is full grown she normally eats 2 cups of food a day but there are some days when she will only eat one. Chows are pretty good at self regulating their food intake (unlike breeds such as retrievers that are canine vacuums). As long as your pup is healthy and growing I wouldn't be too concerned that he is not eating the 3.5 cups a day recommended on the package. Taste of the Wild is a very good food and a lot of the people on this forum have good results feeding it to their chows. I feed the Pacific Stream formula and Cocoa loves it (but still will leave it in her dish if she isn't hungry).
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Cocoa,
Thank you for the informative reply. So the vendor I went to had Orijen and Taste of Wild. I bought Orijen since they had Puppy Large Breed formula. I will give you updates how it goes for him. I notice on Innova he scratches behind his ear a lot I check for any hot spot any rashes but nothing so my assumption is dry skin from the food?

Well I will try to give you an update.
Thanks!
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

dkas2929 wrote:Have you looked at Muenster natural dog food? It's what I feed my two dogs and its very good for them and they
love it. I believe they have a website if you want to learn more. Good luck :)
I looked at the Muenster Milling site. Their dog food has chicken meal as the first ingredient, but beyond that it is corn and grains. While I do not doubt that your dogs like it, I would not consider it a high quality food.