Dried food advice please (my head hurts!)

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Re: Dried food advice please (my head hurts!)

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh was on a prescription diet of Royal Canin because of frequent problem of UTI's. Because we fed them together, both Shiloh & Nahkohe were on the Royal Canin food. Maybe it was the prescription formula but their fur seemed to lack the usual luster - otherwise no issues with them being on RC. I have since switched to Wellness Core and now Solid Gold for kibble. Either one is good - I just switch to give them a change.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

Red Dragon wrote:
h0n33y wrote:wow I never thought the formula will be different in each country, I thought its standardized........

COAT FORMULA??? there is a specified DF for supercoat (literally mentioned on the DF packing) ??
will look again at the official website

btw, 2 big CHOW show players used Royal Canin to their dogs, and their dog looks amazing.......
I'm in doubt now, is Royal Canin might be OK for several dogs, as many chows for show (contest) use that brand....

but then again, is it safe at the long run?? if it makes my dog beautiful for just 5-8 years and leave her miserable at her senior years, that is not a good food, that is SLOW food poisoning....
Sick dogs on bad food don't have nice skin and coat, maybe you should pay attention to what the show breeders feed? Like I said, I know of quiet a few Chows on Royal Canin and they do well, they just happen to be show dogs. :D Depending on how big your Chow is, the Medium size adult food appears to be the correct choice.
I'm sorry Red, I don't quite get it. What do you mean with medium sized adult food???
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

kingalls wrote:Shiloh was on a prescription diet of Royal Canin because of frequent problem of UTI's. Because we fed them together, both Shiloh & Nahkohe were on the Royal Canin food. Maybe it was the prescription formula but their fur seemed to lack the usual luster - otherwise no issues with them being on RC. I have since switched to Wellness Core and now Solid Gold for kibble. Either one is good - I just switch to give them a change.

sob sob I wish we had SOLID GOLD or Wellness here......

so sad......

:(
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

h0n33y wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:
h0n33y wrote:wow I never thought the formula will be different in each country, I thought its standardized........

COAT FORMULA??? there is a specified DF for supercoat (literally mentioned on the DF packing) ??
will look again at the official website

btw, 2 big CHOW show players used Royal Canin to their dogs, and their dog looks amazing.......
I'm in doubt now, is Royal Canin might be OK for several dogs, as many chows for show (contest) use that brand....

but then again, is it safe at the long run?? if it makes my dog beautiful for just 5-8 years and leave her miserable at her senior years, that is not a good food, that is SLOW food poisoning....
Sick dogs on bad food don't have nice skin and coat, maybe you should pay attention to what the show breeders feed? Like I said, I know of quiet a few Chows on Royal Canin and they do well, they just happen to be show dogs. :D Depending on how big your Chow is, the Medium size adult food appears to be the correct choice.
I'm sorry Red, I don't quite get it. What do you mean with medium sized adult food???
They have different blends of food depending on the breed, and on what size the dog is. If you would take the time to actually look at what they have to offer instead of listening to people on the forum, you would know that. #-o
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

Red Dragon wrote:
They have different blends of food depending on the breed, and on what size the dog is. If you would take the time to actually look at what they have to offer instead of listening to people on the forum, you would know that. #-o
eerr, correct me if I'm wrong.

medium breed dog food is usually:

Small & Medium breed formula
Large & Giant breed formula

you mean, give our chow the Small & Medium instead of Large and Giant formula??? as the Small & Medium give us more protein compared to Large & Giant formula...is that what u r saying Red??
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Some of you only have 35 to 50 pound dogs, why would you want to give the dog food that was made for a great dane or a mastif? As I said, if you bothered to look at their formulas you would see they have different ones for different size dogs. They also list the weight range for each. Their medium size adult formula has the correct range of protein and fat for a Chow.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!