Wolf King or Hund-n-flocken? (or better??)

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

GoHokiesGo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Wolf King or Hund-n-flocken? (or better??)

Post by GoHokiesGo »

So I've been trying to read through all these nutrition posts, and it seems that the Solid Gold food is mentioned numerous times as one of the best dry foods for Chows. I dont really know the nutritionist reasoning behind it all, but I like that fact that it contains natural ingredients and seems to help their coats look better.

Honey was previously fed Pedigree dry food where we bought her, so I thought it'd make the most sense to keep her on the same food. Now that I've been doing more research, it sounds like Pedigree is one of the worst lines out there of food. She hasn't been eating a ton in the first week we've had her, so I figured that might actually be a decent time to migrate the new food into her diet before she begins chowing down again. Also, it seems that most of the dogs instantly like this food from what you all have said as well.

The part that confuses me is which of these lines to use. The solid gold has Hund-n-flocken and Wolf King as their lines. Are chows alright to eat large breed dog food? Does the Hund-n-Flocken (funny word) still contain all the oils and omega-3's that are beneficial to their health? Is Wolf King better suited for male dogs since they have a bit more mass and size to them? I know there are a lot of other premium quality foods as well, but the Solid Gold brand seemed to be mentioned the most as a premium food in other threads.

Honey is 47lbs which is a decent weight, but she's what I'd definitely call a "medium" dog since she's not very tall at all. She had puppies back at the end of April before we bought her from the breeder, but I think it's been long enough that we no longer need to worry about special foods since she isn't nursing now. (We bought her because the breeder decided to retire her from breeding since she had a hard time with the litters, she's 4-1/2 now).

I mainly want to get her off the pedigree and onto a high quality food, and thought we'd give Solid Gold a try first.
~Jason and Grace

and Honey, our Chow Chow
Zhuyos mom

Re: Wolf King or Hund-n-flocken? (or better??)

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I had to change from Solid Gold to Breeder's Choice (their Avoderm line) because of the economy. However, when my chows were on Solid Gold, I fed my senior gal Holistique at first and my then chowling, Wolf Cub. Then my boy grew older and I put them and a foster of mine on WolfKing. WolfKing had to be special ordered and I tired of special ordering it so I transitioned them to Hund-n-Flocken. Personally, they all did fine with the lamb and ocean fish (hund-n-flocken) as when they were on the bison and ocean fish Wolf King/Wolf Cub).

So my advice to you is whichever Solid Gold brand (Wolf King or Hund-n-flocken) is convenient for you to purchase. Buy a small bag first and gradually add the new kibble to her old kibble for a week. Some of the other chows on this forum did not like Solid Gold or they had poop problems. So if you buy a small bag at first you can test how Honey will do with it.
GoHokiesGo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Wolf King or Hund-n-flocken? (or better??)

Post by GoHokiesGo »

That sounds like a good plan. I think our local Petco actually carries Solid Gold products, if not we have a bunch of random natural pet stores in the area I'll have to check out. I guess I'll start her out on whichever one they have in stock, or is the best deal. I don't think I can go wrong with either one it seems. Her coat was shaved down a few weeks before we bought her, so I just want to be sure it comes in nice and that she's as healthy as we can keep her.
~Jason and Grace

and Honey, our Chow Chow