Water bowl problem

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

SKK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Water bowl problem

Post by SKK »

Hi all,

My chow, Teddy, gets his coat (mainly the hair under his muzzle and on the upper part of his chest) soaking wet after drinking from his bowl. He doesn't actually get his muzzle wet - I think the hair under his muzzle just falls into the bowl. Not a huge problem in itself but then he goes out and plays in the garden and ends up with muck and mud etc stuck to the wet area - if I don't clean this area regularly it starts to smell pretty horrid. Are there any bowls out there that would assist in stopping this happening?

I have tried several already including a standard steel bowl and the road refresher - whilst the road refresher provided some improvement it still hasn't got rid of the problem entirely. All help / tips appreciated.

Thanks
Zhuyos mom

Re: Water bowl problem

Post by Zhuyos mom »

SKK wrote:... the road refresher...
Is this bowl the same as "the road refresher"? I have one of these. Not because my chows get their fur wet, but I have it in the kennel so it doesn't spill and bring it on the road in my car when we travel. When they drink from it, their manes never get wet. Then again, mine are very neat when they drink or eat from their bowls. My boy does emerge from that water bowl, as well as the others we have handy, with his lips dripping wet ready to wipe on me! Cost of bowl was approx. $6.00 U.S.
Attachments
bowl.jpg
bowl.jpg (6.44 KiB) Viewed 4756 times
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

Maybe a raised water bowl? If they didn't have to lean down so far, they may be less likely to get their mane wet. Or, they could wear bandannas as "bibs"
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

Mailie has the same problem! I know that smell very well, YUCK!

I used to use a raised food and water dish and had to put a towel or peepee pad underneath it and she would leave a big drippy trail behind her. I now use the bowl that Zhuyos Mom posted a picture of for both of my dogs. It is called the "water Hole" and it works pretty good. I have one for each of the dogs in the house and one for the car.
Mailie ...............................................................................................................................Louie
Thanks sweetpea!