Homemade Treat Recipe

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Homemade Treat Recipe

Post by Coco Chow »

I was wondering, has anybody tried to bake treats from can food or dry food?
I found that recipe, and because Coco could use a treat or two, I think I might try it. Thanks.

Homemade Treat Recipe Yield: approx. two dozen treats

Using canned food:

1. Open the can and shake the loaf of food out of the can.
2. Cut the loaf into 1/4" thick slices, and then cut the slices into bite-sized pieces.
3. Bake the treats in a microwave oven on high for approximately 2 ½ to 3 minutes.
4. Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.
5. Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.
6. Do not freeze homemade treats.

For a conventional oven, follow the instructions above and place the bite-sized pieces on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.

Using dry food:

1. In a blender, add 2 cups of dry food and grind into a powder.
2. Pour powder into a mixing bowl and gradually add about 1 to 1 ¼ cups of water, stirring until it forms a dough consistency.
3. Shape into individual "treats" or "cookies" and flatten the dough using the back of a spoon (the cookies will not flatten like standard "people cookies" do.)
4. Place treats on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.
5. Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.
6. Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.
7. Do not freeze homemade treats.
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Homemade Treat Recipe

Post by Sirchow »

Did Coco like her treats? :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Homemade Treat Recipe

Post by Coco Chow »

I think I didn't cook them enough, they don't look like buiscuits, more like marshmallows :lol: .
Coco eats them, and they make her jump in the car too when needed, but she's not crazy crazy about them. She'd rather have a piece of salmon, but he, it's better than nothing!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/