I'm a new owner and I need food suggestions!

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Etxeberria
Rank 0
Rank 0

I'm a new owner and I need food suggestions!

Post by Etxeberria »

Yesterday, my family acquired a Chow Chow named Missy. She is about two, though we aren't sure of her exact age.

A family friend had rescued her from a neglectful home about six months ago, but couldn't keep her due to having too many dogs (I believe she's a breeder, not sure.)

After some research and getting to know the dog, we took ownership.

The previous owners fed her Purina One Lamb and Rice dog food. However, since we brought her home with us yesterday afternoon (it's been about 27 hours since we've had her) she's been reluctant to eat (we bought the food that they suggested.) She's also been reluctant to drink water. I've seen her eat a few bites, but it worries me that she's not eating.

I'm not sure if it's because she's afraid of her new environment, or if there's something else going on. Should we be feeding her something else? Should I feed her at certain times, or leave the food bowl out so she may graze?

It's been pretty hot out, could that be why? It's been about 85°F, but she's been spending most of the day in the basement, which is considerably cooler and only about 60°F. I've walked her four times since we got her (twice a day, so she can familiarize herself with the neighborhood, play in the grass, and do her business.)

I haven't been able to find much online about the diet/eating habits of chow chows, I was wondering if anyone had any information that might help me.
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: I'm a new owner and I need food suggestions!

Post by summer_rose03 »

I personally feed both my dogs Blue Buffalo. My old dog, Frisco, was on Blue Buffalo Senior. My current Chow mix, Carter, is on Blue Buffalo's Large Breed Chicken formula and my English Setter, Cash, is on Blue's Lamb and Rice formula. (Cash has allergies so that's why he gets lamb, and we recently discovered lamb gives Carter gas, so went back to chicken).

It is a very high quality food, all natural ingredients, no fillers, wheat/corn/by-product free. My dogs love it, in fact Carter won't eat any other type of dry food. I have tried samples of other all natural dog foods and he won't touch it.

The higher quality the food/ingredients, the less you will have to feed them and the less you will have to clean up!

http://www.bluebuff.com/products/dogs/index.shtml

They can also send you a sample pack with coupons.

Here is a comparison chart to other popular brands.
http://www.bluebuff.com/sample/true-blue-results.php
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

As far as the not eating, it could be stress. A dog will not starve themselves. Maybe leave food out all the time for awhile until she realizes it is always there, then switch to set feeding times. Once she settles in to your home, she should be fine. She might also be a dog that doesn't like an audience when she eats.

Heat could also be a culprit. Chows don't like heat and I'm sure it doesn't make them all that hungry. Carter is a morning/evening eater. That's when I noticed him eating on his own, as we free fed when we first got him.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelliegirl »

I adopted Nellie she was 2 as well and when I brought her home to my house she was very nervous she did not eat for 4 days. I was so worried I called the vet she suggested to feed her very cheap food for awhile only to get her to eat something ( this is might not be the best solution but it worked). This helped her trust me a little more and within a short time I was able to switched over to Canidae ALS (after a trial with Nutro..it did not agree with her). She loves this stuff I feed her twice a day and it is gone in about 2 seconds. She has a shiny healthy coat and there is very little waste to clean up (if you know what I mean).

Hope this helps!!