Ice Water

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ice Water

Post by aware »

I've been giving the pup's Ice Water for a while now, and am suddenly wondering if its okay. I searched the forum and found a few people have suggested a few ice cubes on hot days, but my chow's get a full bowl of heavy on the ice, ice water everyday. They love it. Julie pulls several cubes out and brings them onto her bed and eats them one by one and when the bowl is empty she brings it to me asking for more.

I just want to make sure that it wont cause tummy problems. Of course they aren't allowed to eat a bunch of ice before they play, but I still worry.

thanks,
allison
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Ice Water

Post by TJordan »

You may do a search on bloat. I think long ago someone on here mentioned that it can lead to bloat. Don't quote me, but I think that is what was said at one time.
SweetPea Rocks!!
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Ice Water

Post by aware »

Thanks. I forgot about bloat.

I did a little research and there are many different opinions. It seems as long as we wait to give the ice water to them between 1/2 hour and 1 hour after they eat and not right before they go play they will be fine, but I think I will have a talk with their vet. Julie just really loves it. It also slows down her drinking. It seems, in the case of ice water, bloat occurs when the animal is cooled down too quickly. Its a shock to their system. It can also happen when they are fed ice water right after vigorous play.