can food & allergies

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chrisusvi
Rank 0
Rank 0

can food & allergies

Post by chrisusvi »

Our chow has skin allergies and we recently learned that the preservatives in canned food has contributed to her skin problems. I also learned that there was a show on the 'Green' TV channel that talked about the main ingredients in dog food is rice and carrots. The preservatives is what can cause allergies in some dogs.
Are there some home made recipes for dog food that we can make for her to avoid the preservative in canned food? I was thinking of boiling rice and carrots and mixing it with the dry food.

Are there any recipes I can try?

Thanks.

chrisusvi
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: can food & allergies

Post by Sirchow »

I had a look through some of the archives and this post has quite a lot of information some of which might be useful. Also read the links in it.

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13692

I hope you find something to suit.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

If you want home made recipes for chows, you could try to contact Mally (her chow is Lychee), she has amazing casserole recipes for chows. But she feeds her chow like that, she's not mixing it with dry food though.
My understanding is that you will unbalance your chow diet if you add rice & carrott to an industrial food. What do you feed exactly? (I have to add that my chow is allergic too and that her symptoms stopped when I started to give her her anti-allergenic food and stopped the other foods too.)
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Looks like we're in the same boat. The bad mother that i am, that I am now waking up to...is the food i was giving was full of preservatives, corn, colors, chemicals (pedigree). And it has now bitten me in the butt, my boy has raw spots on his skin now. Only after 30 days, and now he's off it for about 2 weeks now, and still itching. I've read here on this website it can take 6 weeks to rid the bad stuff out of his system. I feel so bad. Am trying out new higher quality dry brands and think i've found one. Adding my own fresh foods, despite the store owners' suggestion. Actually the store owner suggested the raw diet they sell there,that'll be my last choice for now. But with all respect to the store owner..he was very knowledgable and said alot of the stuff i read on this message board.

I'm getting ready to go get some benedryl, well see if my husband can pick it up on the way home. I get one spot to heal up another spot crops up, poor guy. Even his lip has dried up blood spots, in front of his ears, between couple toes, tail, lower back. He never had this problem on the proplan, maybe a little itchin but not raw. Used the advance search feature for your questions it'll help you alot.

I thank the heavens for this website everyday!!

Jen
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Coco Chow, Are you sure i can't add fresh food to the dry food I buy? Now i'm really confused. Isn't that like saying I can't give treats? My game plan was to buy the bulk dry food and then make my own wet food. Argh, lol. Jen
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I don't say you cannot, I say you unbalance the diet... If you add chicken for example to your chow dry food, you add proteins to his diet and the ratio of proteins in his diet changes and too much proteins is not good for a chow. But it depends on the proteins ratio of the dry food first, you see what I mean?
Also the chicken might make your chow itch again for example (chicken being often fed with corn and allergic chows being often allergic to corn).
My understanding is basically you take a risk when you add something in his bowl because it might not be good for him...

Coco has nothing else than her anti-allergenic food now and I enjoy having an itch free chow very much, it is all I know!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/