Need Help Finding New Food

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

alex2411
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need Help Finding New Food

Post by alex2411 »

I have a 6 month old chow chow. He has grown tired of his food and wont eat as much or as often as i would like anymore. I tried switching the type of food from Wellness Puppy to other types of Wellness but that isn't working either because he really doesn't eat it. So i starting putting canned food mixed in with the hard food but now he is having extreme diarrhea I am thinking because maybe the Wellness brand is just too much for him. So i was wondering if anyone had suggestions for other brands of food. He wont eat just hard food he will only eat the food if it has soft mixed in so i want to find a soft food that is gentle on the stomach and I'm willing to change the hard food as well if need be. He has a sensitive stomach and gets very gasy and gets very soft/watery poo if something doesnt agree with him.
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Need Help Finding New Food

Post by lightforce18 »

i had my dog on beneful, then nutro ultra. But now since the probe last night i switched him to Innova. Ill let you know how it goes, but he loves the food already he wouldnt stop eating it.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

You could try Avoderm Natural Puppy Food. It has both dry and canned. I have not tried it personally. However, my chows are doing well on the Avoderm Natural Adult line (lamb and brown rice for sensitive stomachs).

I've fed Solid Gold WolfCub to my last two chowlings/puppies. You can try purchasing a small bag of that and mix it with some warm water until the kibble blooms and it softens the kibble a bit. Having them SG WolfCub provided a very solid nutrition for their growth into adulthood. The boys are strong boned, muscular and athletic but not hyper. I kept them on the puppy food until they turned 13 months.

Here is a thread that might provide you with some thoughts on the member's food choices: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4084
aware
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aware »

Wellness was too rich for my Rocco and after a long search we have found that he is allergic to chicken (at least that is what we think)??? We feed SG Wolf King. Both Rocco and Julie are looking and feeling fantastic. No more itchy flaky skin, no more runny stools, and his coat is way fuller.