Which food to choose?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Which food to choose?

Post by Sirchow »

Can anyone point me at an archive for nutritional food. Even better if it is available in the UK. I have driven myself mad reading archive posts this pm and am none the wiser what I am actually trying to achieve! At the moment I am feeding Burns minibites for a seven month old with a very little cooked fish or mince to damp it down and encourage Bramble to eat it. I expect there will be lots of breaths drawn in in horror but I thought it was supposed to be one of the better foods.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Zhuyos mom

Re: Which food to choose?

Post by Zhuyos mom »

In this section "Nutrition, Diets and Food", there is a subforum "Best of....". Go there and there are a couple of threads that might be useful. It's the tippy top on the section's page. I do not think we have "Burns" in the U.S. There are many European/Continental members here and they could probably help you find your answer on the Burns brand and/or more insight on the kibble there.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Sirchow wrote:At the moment I am feeding Burns minibites for a seven month old with a very little cooked fish or mince to damp it down and encourage Bramble to eat it.
The only Burns minibites I've found so far, are low protein and formulated for puppies and adult Toy breeds. This low protein formula may possibly be a contributing factor to the tendon weakness (?) I do remember discussing some foods made in the UK, on these forums. I think one of the brands had the word "beloved" in it, so that may be the keyword for searching the archives.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

These are two of what I have been led to believe are better foods. James welbeloved gave both our dogs upset tummies which cleared up when on the Burns. Can anyone in the UK make a suggestion as to a more nutritious food for a very small cavi and a seven month chow please?

James Wellbeloved Complete Puppy Food with Lamb & RiceIngredients:
Lamb Meat Meal, Rice, Ground Whole Barley, Potato Protein, Lamb Fat, Whole Linseed, Lamb Gravy, Sugar Beet Pulp, Alfalfa, Natural Seaweed, Omega 3 and Omega 6 Supplement, Sodium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, D,L-Methionine, Lysine Hydrochloride, Threonine, Jwb Special Ingredients.

Typical Analysis:
Moisture <10%, Protein 30%, Oils and Fats 15%, Fibre 3%, Ash 8.5%

Burns Mini Bites - Dry Dog Food

Contains: Brown Rice, Chicken, White Rice, Oats, Peas, Chicken Oil, Sunflower Oil,Ocean Fish, Seaweed, Minerals & Vitamins

Typical Analysis/100g: Protein 21.0%, Oil 11.0%, Fibre 2.0%, Ash 7.0%, Vit A 10000 iu/kg, Vit D 1500 iu/kg, Vit E 80 iu/kg, Moisture 9%, Copper 15mg/kg, Sodium 0.48%, Calcium 1.6%, Phosphorus 1.0%, Magnesium 0.1%, EFA 3.33%, Carbohydrates 51%
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

hi we feed lola wagg complete chicken and veg she like it and i also give her tuna hope this helps xxxx
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Thanks Maxine
I am not sure that this food is much different from what I am using as the protein content is the same and comes second on the list. Does anyone know of a venison and/or salmon food in the UK?
In this section "Nutrition, Diets and Food", there is a subforum "Best of....". Go there and there are a couple of threads that might be useful. It's the tippy top on the section's page.
I have searched and can't find anything that is available that has a higher level of good protein. James welbeloved is recommended by breeders in this country but neither of my dogs could tolerate it.

Wagg Complete Chicken & Veg Dog Food contains
Wheat, Meat Meal, Wheatfeed, Maize, Chicken Meat Meal (min 4% in Chicken Kibble), Oils & Fats, Carrot (min 20% in Carrot Disc), Linseed, Rice, Beet Pulp, Peas (min 4% in Pea Kibble), Lucerne, Vitamins and Minerals. Added Citrus, Yeast and Yucca. With Antioxidant: EC additive.

Typical AnalysisProtein 21.00%
Oil 8.00%
Fibre 3.00%
Ash 8.00%
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

This has higher protein but has brewers yeast and beet pulp which we always fed to cows but not sure how dogs do on it. I may give it a try if no one has any other suggestions. Thank you Kiwana for finding this food.

Arden Grange
Ingredients

Fresh Chicken 18%, Chicken Meal* 18%, Whole Grain Rice, Chicken Fat*, Beet Pulp, Egg Powder, Whole Grain Maize, Dried Brewers Yeast, Fish Meal*, Linseed, Fish Oil*, Minerals, Vitamins, Nucleotides, Prebiotic FOS, Prebiotic MOS, Cranberry Extract, Chondroitin Sulphate, Glucosamine Sulphate, MSM, Yucca Extract. * Preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract.
Typical Analysis

Protein 29%, Oil 18%, Fibre 3%, Ash 6%, Moisture 8%, Omega6 4.1%, Omega3 0.7%, Vitamin A 20000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 1350 IU/kg, Vitamin E 135 IU/kg, Calcium 1.3%, Phosphorous P 0.85%, Copper 22 mg/kg (as Cupric Sulphate).
Feeding Guide
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

You may try looking at www.dogfoodanalysis.com to see how certain foods are rated. This may help in your search. I am not sure if it includes strictly UK brands but it might give you the tools to compare them with.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

After looking through this link I think I wont try it I will keep looking.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

As you weigh your options, remember, it takes a lot to be seen as a perfect food in that analysis! And that is a good thing. I sampled several star ratings. It helped desensitize me a little because the food we use Nature's Recipe (under Del Monte, I think) didn't have the best of ratings, but it was better than Nutro, which I was feeding previously.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_ ... ijen/44954

As this is such a high protein diet I think I will feed it half and half with Burns. It is rather costly too but I want to give Bramble the best chance with the food and nutrition to try to overcome the problems she faces further down the line.
Mika&Suki
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mika&Suki »

Sirchow wrote:Thanks Maxine
I am not sure that this food is much different from what I am using as the protein content is the same and comes second on the list. Does anyone know of a venison and/or salmon food in the UK?
Hi there,

Just noticed your post regarding salmon food available in the UK - have a look at this website: -

http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/vie ... category=5

This is salmon food and I have used it on both of my chows, one of which has skin allergies. I had them on the CP21 food for about 3 months and the allergy rash on Suki's tummy completely cleared up. I have since taken them off this food as they didn't seem to like it as much as the James Wellbeloved, but it may be a different story for you :D
Mika & Suki owned by Nicki
Thank you Siriol x
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Thank you for posting that. This wasn't quite the food I was looking for because it has brewer yeast which can cause itching and Bramble already has on and off itchy paws it also has quite a lot of grains and I wanted to find a low/grain free food. The one that I decided on in the end was Orijen puppy food as it has no grain in it. Thank you :D
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Sir Chow Iam so with you on this dog food mission. I have over the years tried to find a good dog food and I just switched to a herring /sweet potatoe and not sure if that change caused a hotspot (other factors too involved) but Iam just exhausted trying to figure out all the ingred. etc. which has yeast which has grains which has proteins ,, gee I don't have time to think about my own diet.. (maybe thats why Iam over weight LOL).. My vet last night said not to get so crazy about dog food and stick with one thing and see if it works if not switch..Well hello thats why Iam switching cause she's itching..AT $183.00 for the visit and meds last night I don't want this to happen every week..
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Hi chowpups, You have some foods in US that we don't. A lot of people seem to rate the bison or salmon foods you have. Have you looked on www.dogfoodanalysis.com. I found this quite helpful though most were unavailable in the UK. The Orijen has not arrived yet as I have to buy online so we will see how it goes but I am only going to feed it half and half with the present food. Good luck with your search.
kevinaddes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kevinaddes »

Hi,
II have two dogs and here are some tips for food of dog.
Water should never be substituted with milk, although the latter is an essential fluid in the balanced diet for dogs. The pet should be fed with moderate quantity of milk, because it is over consumption may cause diarrhea. Ensure that your dog gets the good supply of clean water.Growing puppies and pregnant dogs need additional supply of calcium. Be sure to provide your pet with the essential nutrient in such special situations.The protein content recommended for a balanced diet for dog is 20 to 30 percent. Be sure to include protein rich food in your dog's diet.