Re: bad food reaction to Purina Beneful

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jojasp5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jojasp5 »

I own a red female chow and I tried her on the Purina Beneful. She loved it to begin with. :D She gobbled it down in one sitting. :shock: However I started to notice she was scrating more and developing hot spots. :cry: I went to my pet specialty store for some advice on what type of food to change her to. It was suggested that I switch to Diamond Lamb & Rice meal because it has no corn, wheat, or soy. I made the change and she's doing much better. \:D/ She got an ear infection and I'd taken her to the vet and he seems to think that the cause of her itching was not caused by her diet but, is more of an allergy symptoms. /:) From what I'm learning many vets dont seem to think that corn or wheat is an indigestable substance or that it's the culprit in causing these itching attacks by my dog. I just no that when I change to Diamond the itching stopped and there are no more hot spots. I have to go with what I see so far. Any takes on how good the Diamond brand dog foods are and, are there any dog foods out there that are good for derm issues. :?: Thanks in advance.

jojasp5 8)
jojasp5
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

jojasp5 wrote:Any takes on how good the Diamond brand dog foods are and, are there any dog foods out there that are good for derm issues. :?: Thanks in advance.
Review all the Diamond Food recalls of recent years. The Beneful is basically a toxic brew of garbage - there's lots of info on that poor quality brand in the archives, as well as numerous archived nutrition threads concerning optimal diet for skin/coat health.
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

my puppy loves beneful. Should i take him off it?
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

lightforce18 wrote:my puppy loves beneful. Should i take him off it?
Think of it as buying inflammation in a bag. Dogs love the taste because it's sweetened and coated with rancid grease.
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

yea I dumped it yesterday a 17lb bag for nutro ultra. Its alot more expensive tho lol
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

You'll notice a huge difference with the Nutro, it's definitely worth the cost. Also, if you go to Petco and become a P.A.L.S customer you get every tenth bag free, so that's nice, and they always send out 20% off coupons which you can use for the food as well. That helps a lot with the cost.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

is there any difference between the ultra and the regular?

also i got the ultra puppy one should I have gotten ultra large breed puppy?
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

lightforce18 wrote:is there any difference between the ultra and the regular?

also i got the ultra puppy one should I have gotten ultra large breed puppy?
What Nutro considers to be "ultra", other premium brands would consider as "regular". Nutro tried to upgrade their image when the premium brands took a large share of the market, but since then Nutro has been resold to Mars
candy, and its quality has gone down further.

The slow growth, large breed puppy formula would be a better choice.