Food Reaction?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Food Reaction?

Post by nelliegirl »

Hello...
You will have to forgive the topic but I switched my dog Nellie to Nutro Max about 2 or 3 weeks ago from Beneful. Her poop is much, much softer then when on Beneful and I am not sure if this is because it does not agree with her or if this is normal. She goes about the same amount as before and she loves the food (she empties her bowl). She is not lethargic, she has the same energy level on walks and when playing with other dogs, her nose is wet and her eyes are bright. I have to say her coat is shinier as well.

Any thoughts...
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Food Reaction?

Post by summer_rose03 »

Did you slowly switch her over or did you just do it all at once? Sometimes their systems just need time to adjust to a food, especially if you didn't do it over time. Nutro is a much better food then Beneful, so their should be an adverse reactions.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelliegirl »

It took a week to switch her over. I went by what the directions on the bag of food (3/4 Beneful to 1/4 Beneful for 2 days, 1/2 and 1/2 for 2 days and then 3/4 Nutro Max and 1/4 beneful for 2 days and on the 7th day all Nutro Max).
nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelliegirl »

I will give it till the end of the bag. I think it is the wheat in the Nutro Max that is causing the problem. I decide to switch her to Solid Gold which is grain free (at least the Barking at the Moon brand is). It is unfortunate because she LOVES it.

Thank you for your comments...I am sure I will have a zillion other weird questions ( I am still really new at this).
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Are you giving her anything else besides the nutro, like treats, table scraps anything? My Chow has been eating Nutro for 13 years her stools are so hard i'm amazed she can poop but I have noticed some of her treats with give her loose stools. Frosty paws, dental bisquits etc. anything out of my Chows normal diet will usally have some loose stool effect.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelliegirl »

I give her Nutro Max steaks but I have been giving her those since I got her.
mjol1957
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mjol1957 »

HELP!
I got a chow lab mix. Since 2 yrs of age, he has had an itching problem - stomach, paws neck/ears. Tried Evo Innova (grain free) Kibble mixed with human grade chicken and vegs and still has problems. Went to the vet for shots and pills. I got to get him off this stuff.
Need a good recipe for home made kibble. If someone has a list of fruits and vegs that will work, that are safe for chows, I'd be deeply greatful. I recently heard that any meat that was fed corn based food should not be used. I gather this must include chicken eggs?!?! I thought that rice was a problem - it's a grain - but someone said that rice is good?!!? White or Brown rice?!?!?
MJ
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

mjol1957 wrote:HELP!Tried Evo Innova (grain free) Kibble mixed with human grade chicken and vegs and still has problems.
Why are you adding even *more* chicken to an *already* high protein EVO formula? Look at the high level of pro-inflammatory fat in that formula, plus you are adding even more with the fresh chicken. Pro-inflammatory fat triggers itch. Are you adding any fatty treats?

Have you tried Solid Gold "Wolf King" (bison/salmon). There are plenty of threads in the archives on 'anti-inflammatory diet'. Have you tried adding anti-inflammatory omega-3 fish oils to the diet, or tried salmon-based dog food formulas?
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Definately agree with Kiwani.

Wolf King or HundenFlocken, both from Solid Gold, both have the right ingredients and the right protein levels for chows.

They don't do too well on high protein.
Mia