Food for a high energy dog?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Food for a high energy dog?

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

Hi ya'll,
I realize it has been a while since here, not by choice, our last 14 months have been a roller coaster and hopefully things are slowing down.

Have a question that keeps coming up in conversation with hubby and I that is most likely obvious but I truly don't know the answer.

Ziggy is a very high energy boy, we finally had him neutered in January had planned to do so earlier than that yet events in our lives drove the delay.

Since neutering he has settled down somewhat, I realize that the vast majority of his friskiness is just plain old chow chow, some his age 16 months.

We switched to Eagle Pack Hollistic select early last summer, primarily due to the supply issues with Nutro. I am including a link for the specific formula we are feeding, http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Chicken.html, "I know we all love links".
Which is recommended for an active dog.

As I mentioned earlier our life has been nuts and have not always had access to this brand to replenish and have supplemented with Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, which they don't really catagorize for an active dog. But he likes chicken and nothing else.

So finally to my question, I think I have noticed that when he is on the Eagle Pack he seems to have more energy than he does on the Nutro. So does feeding him a high energy dog food give him more energy?

Any help, suggestions or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Hope everyone is doing well!
thanks
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Food for a high energy dog?

Post by summer_rose03 »

I believe it just gives them the extra nutrients they need to stay at a healthy weight. High energy dogs tend to burn more calories and in turn have a harder time gaining or keeping weight on. I would think the dog food just gives him more calories to run on normally, rather than giving him more energy than he has already (if this makes any sense?).
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Food for a high energy dog?

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

Thanks Summer Rose, that made sense to me as well. It is just odd what we experienced while he was on Nutro vs Eagle Pack. We were just curious.
Betty
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."