Food for Joint Health?

Topics, guidelines and tips for feeding Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Food for Joint Health?

Post by Buddha4me »

My 20 month old bouncing bundling of joy weighs 60 pounds. Has had surgery on both back knees for luxating patellas, and the vet commented at our last check up about how terrible his joints are for a puppy. I asked her about a supplement, she said that there was new research that stongly suggested there is no benefit to giving a dog a supplement, there was no proven link that it actually did any good. I want Buddha to live a long, healthy and pain free life. Any suggestions as to whether or not he should be on a different dog food? He gets Purina One, currently, but I'm not in love with that brand. But I don't want to waste money, or disrupt his diet, he seems to like his dog food now.
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Food for Joint Health?

Post by jacqui »

with orthopedic problems I would get Cosequin DS.
its a supplement that has Glucosamine and our vet said it was the only Glucosamine supplement that is proven thru studies.
I give that to Chyna and Kai. Kai was diagnoised at 5 months old with Elbow and Hip Dysplacia.
we have tried others but I went back to the Cosequin DS.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

I recommend that you try another vet. This one sounds too medically oriented.
Glucosamine, Vitamin C, and MSM the ones for humans will work. We kept Mikka pretty much pain-free until her last years after she was diagnosed with bilateral hip displasia and joint degeneration at age 5.
Natasha
and
Cue
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

There are a couple of foodsthat have Glucosamine in it, Nutro being one of them but aside from the food which probably isn't strong enough anyway there are suppilments that do work.

The ones that were mentioned are good I use Dr. Foster and smiths Joint care 2 there are a few others. I think Glucosamine, Chondriton, MSM, Vit C are the main ingrediants to look for. Your vet may be right about test being done but the People that are using the supplients say they work and they would know more then test. I can see the suppiments have worked with Pekoe she dosn't have severe joint problems but she does have old age stiffness I see the difference.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Did you vet say what this research was. I think you should change vets too!!

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

The vet did not mention much about the study, she just brought it up. She is not my regular vet, unfortunatly, my vet of many years, retired to teach in Mississippi, so this new lady has only seen Buddha twice. I have asked all over town about her, and recieved all positive comments. She even called me a few days after our first visit to check on his progress, he had injured his foot. Which he is still licking by the way. We are in short supply of vets around here, but I may consider checking out the other ones, all positive comments about all of them.
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
Codymac2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Codymac2 »

We use Dasuquin for my 12 yr old boys arthritic hips - I believe it really has made a difference for him. I am sure its similar to Cosequin - though they bill themselves as "the new generation of Cosequin". It comes in strengths based on their weight (my guy is about 85 lbs).

A bit of a side note: You may want to research some better dog food. Purina One - not so good really. I am a bit of a dog food snob after doing much research on it though. I am sure you will find many really good brands that people here use and recommend that you could try. Its definitely going to cost a bit more, but even with a really tight budget, its worth every penny to know you are taking the best care of them you possibly can.

Good luck and I am sure your baby will live a fantastic life with all the love and care you are providing!!